Author Topic: Quick review - Stockli Stormrider VXL  (Read 2564 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Quick review - Stockli Stormrider VXL
« on: April 27, 2012, 06:10:27 pm »
I swapped skis for a couple of runs with a guy that I was skiing with at Lake Louise last Sunday, who was on a brand new pair of Stormrider VXL's.  Conditions were soft spring snow top to bottom.

Specs:  126/85/111, 21m radius, 179 length

Pros:  smooth, supple, even flex; powerful but not aggressive; not overly stiff longitudinally, but very stiff torsionally; stable in crud and on smooth snow at speed; absorbed rough snow transitions easily and without kick-back; outstanding edge hold, even in soft spring snow; very light and agile feel but only if I got way forward over the shovels, quite unwieldy when skied in a neutral stance (see note below re. binding setup)

Cons:  this ski did not want to readily release from turns, but tended to lock me into each turn, which is a trait I do not care for -- I like skis to go where I point them, when I want them to.  Also, while the edge grip was exceptionally strong, it had an "always on" character which was rather unforgiving.  Both of these could have been due to the tune. 

The ski was set up with a Knee binding mounted to the BOF/CRS mark, and with a riser plate under the toe piece (shop setup, not manufacturer's) which probably gave it a zero ramp angle.  For my preferences, this just did not work.  I had to push myself way forward to get the ski to respond.  It was otherwise very sluggish and awkward-feeling. 

Bottom line, with bindings having a more typical ramp, and the skis tuned to my liking, this ski might be really wonderful and I would love to demo it properly some time.  It showed some qualities that I really like, and had a very smooth silky feel and supple flex that was really sweet.  On hard snow, it could be a ripper.  It should be very good off piste, too.  Nice ski, and beautifully made.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Quick review - Stockli Stormrider VXL
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:39:05 pm »

Thanks Svend.  Any comments about the knee binding?
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 09:56:28 pm »
Jim, I didn't really get a chance to thoroughly check it out, so don't have much insight for you.  Sorry...  But it seems very nicely made and solid.  Looks to be mostly metal construction, which is good considering some of the plastic bindings being sold these days at high prices.  Feels firm and secure when clicked in.  Overall, a high quality look and feel. 

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 10:26:26 am »
I own the VXL.  I have often wished that Stockli would build a another ski with a tighter turn radius, but identical construction.  The Spirit Globe comes close, but I'd like something wider than that.  The VXL construction is my absolute all-time favorite for ski feel and performance.  It's a powerful ski without being overpowering and the key word to describe it is SMOOTH.

Svend - the problems you attributed to delta can be minimally due to that aspect, but it's mostly due to being mounted on the factory line.  I ski my VXLs 25mm forward (about 1").  It completely transformed that ski into a very versatile performer.  Note thought that I no longer ski the VXL due to the higher sidecut radius.  I've gravitated to skis that are at least 18m or less.  I still have my VXLs, but I pulled the bindings so they didn't get any snow time this season.  They'll probably be sold next season.

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 07:35:55 pm »
Hmmm, last time I checked the Knee Binding isn't adjustable fore/aft so they would have had to been setup for Svend's friend (if they were BoF mounted).  I think Svend needs to weigh back in on this.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 06:13:19 am »
Guys -- the bindings were set to my friend's BOF mark, not mine.  H-A, you are correct, the Knee binding is not adjustable fore-aft.  On the Stocklis, it was mounted flat at the heel piece, and with what looked like about a 8 to 10mm riser under the toe piece.

H-A, I agree, the VXL were super-smooth feeling with a supple flex that could get addictive.  Very, very nice snow feel.  As I said, with my own tune and proper binding location, this ski would be an outstanding performer.

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 11:35:29 am »
My Stockli Stormrider VXL is up for sale.  Lightly used and only drilled once for Tyrolia Carve Plates.  Please PM if interested.