Author Topic: Fore Aft Balance and how to get there.  (Read 3757 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Fore Aft Balance and how to get there.
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 12:11:30 pm »
Add to that the FEELING of being balanced, stable, able to absorb uneven terrain without being thrown off kilter.  ......

But it seems to me we might be talking on somewhat different levels here.  Gross, basic variables vs. fine tuning the details. 
I've always "felt" pretty balanced.  After all, I was an athlete in high school; why couldn't everyone see how balanced I was?

More seriously, I've often wondered which is the fine tuning and which is the gross basic variable.
I can feel the difference in skiing from moving my bindings 2 cm forward (less than an inch).  Don't I get the same or more effect by moving my shoulders and upper body forward 1 1/2 inches (and that ain't very much)!!
If I increase my forward lean angle from 19 to 21 degrees, isn't that the same as moving my hips forward 1/2 an inch (or maybe just keeping my hands more up and forward)?
For me, at least, I'm beginning to think that I've been fiddling with the fine tuning stuff (hardware) before I ever got the gross basic variables (my body) adjusted?

Liam and LP's golf analogies are pertinent.  IF YOU HAVE A GOOD GOLF SWING, then the stuff they say about gear is correct (for the current swing).  Hmmm.  Actually, I guess that even if you have a BAD golf swing you can still get complementary gear for that swing.
Do I have a good SKI SWING?? nope.  Which is easier to change??  The hardware!! (cause my software is 64 years old and fighting against MUSCLE MEMORY).

So which are the basic variables and which are the variables than could then be used for fine tuning?

Quote from: jimr
And don't misunderstand, I do move my bindings around to see what I like and am 15-25 cm forward on Fischer and Head skis, less on the SKi Logics).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:30:57 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."