Author Topic: Fore Aft Balance and how to get there.  (Read 3779 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Fore Aft Balance and how to get there.
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 11:31:27 am »
The Progressor 9's, on the other hand, are quite different, and small changes in these variables clearly made big differences in how the skis behaved.  That behaviour was pretty obvious, and any decent skier would not fail to notice it:  bindings too far forward = tails washing out; not enough forward lean = get way forward to engage the shovels; too much heel lift = disconnection from tails.   
My basic point to Mike was more than that, however.  My thinking is that the gear has to be set up correctly first, before fine tuning of technique begins.  Otherwise the skier in his technique is always compensating for equipment setup problems, which, it seems to me, is particularly pertinent in the fore-aft balance discussion.  Eg. why fight to get forward if all that is missing is a little forward lean shim?

Seriously guys? Are you telling me that it's all wrong? The above comments are not minute little details....this is pretty basic stuff.  Fundamentals that even intermediates should get right so that they can progress without fighting the gear and tiring themselves out. 

Add to that the FEELING of being balanced, stable, able to absorb uneven terrain without being thrown off kilter.  How anyone can tell another skier what they are feeling or experiencing is a bit of a stretch. 

But it seems to me we might be talking on somewhat different levels here.  Gross, basic variables vs. fine tuning the details. 

As for skiing with Helluva in Ellicottville, I'd be delighted to make some turns with him and clink glasses over a pint.  But just to be clear, I'm going there to have fun and share some laughs with a great bunch of guys, and really don't want to turn the day into a clinic.  (No disrespect intended, Greg...I'm sure you don't want to have your instructor's hat on all day either...).