Author Topic: Fore Aft Balance and how to get there.  (Read 3786 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Fore Aft Balance and how to get there.
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 08:18:11 am »
Glen Scanlon was at the two PMTS East gatherings organized by Dan. Glen has trained under Harald (about all I know) and works with the Waterbury ski race teams (mostly boot fitting, but some youth coaching)?
At last years gathering, he also brought along a 20pt FIS racer (I think that means pretty good) who skied the weekend on one ski because of his broken ankle.  Glen got into a discussion of Fore-Aft balance and how it isn't static, how balance is really the fact that you should always be moving, and that where you pressure the ski varies at different points in the turn.
There were some follow-up questions directed later at the younger racer, and while he obviously understood what Glen was explaining and does it himself, he couldn't articulate nearly as well what he felt and how he moved through the turn.  And no, I'm not saying that Glen explained it as well as Harald, only that there is a level of fore aft discussion that is still well over the head of this writer.
Those were about the "fine details" of fore aft balance, I'm still struggling with the "gross details" of fore aft balance.

Unrelated comment, but I still remember being amazed at what trenches this kid's turns left in the snow on an easy slope skiing no faster than me?  Looked like he weighed 300 lbs instead of 150.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:29:07 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."