Author Topic: Fore Aft Balance and how to get there.  (Read 3722 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Fore Aft Balance and how to get there.
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 10:14:52 pm »
I do think there is a differenece between not being back and being forward. For certain types of skiing not being back is enough, but to tighten the arc of a ski and bend the tips and the whole ski there is only one position that will get this result. You have to be way forward (hips in front of the boots) at the start of the high C. Any other position will produce a wider arc and a ski that will not bend. Few people at resorts know how or are able to do this. Everyone on the WC comes close to doing it on every turn. Some races are won by the guy that manages his fore aft balance the best (is the most forward at the start of every turn).

Good to have you say that, John.  I recall arguing this point several months ago with someone here (can't remember who) regarding the supposed impossibility of getting a ski with a stated turn radius to make an arc of a smaller radius without skidding.  My position was that it most certainly is possible, using exactly the technique you described above.  Takes some effort, particularly with a stiff ski, but it's not difficult.  Thanks for the verification.