Author Topic: Fore Aft Balance and how to get there.  (Read 3750 times)

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
Re: Fore Aft Balance and how to get there.
« on: December 20, 2012, 08:39:07 pm »
Epic: I agree with the need to feel your weight move during varios parts of the turn. And I think Lynn does as well.
What I liked about the Mahre tip is that it voiced a problem I have. I also assumed it was a beginner tip and focused on a fore-aft issue faced by beginners.

I have a follow on question for you consistent with the thread focus. What do you teach to the skier with fixed balance on the ball of the foot throughout the turn?
What about for a skier that slides into the back seat as the skis come into the fall line?

I'll start with "Don't do that" and an explanation of why and what to do instead. Since I teach on snow this usually involves a ski-pole drawing/diagram. That's where we start and look for understanding as we go. Then ski and see if they can make a change. Then look for a drill that will effect the desired change from there. There are a  number of drills that might work depending on the skier and how they are described and demoed and what they are focusing on is more important than the drill itself. In other words, success with the drill is less important than getting the client to move more effectively.