Author Topic: Fore Aft Balance and how to get there.  (Read 3706 times)

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
Re: Fore Aft Balance and how to get there.
« on: December 20, 2012, 03:43:22 pm »
your PSIA friend isnt coaching current or right stuff. In Education staff training there was a large focus on how we balance on our outside ski though having a strong and active inside half(what you guys call CA/CB)

We are balanced on outside ski sometimes 100 percent on our our outside ski. anyone who tells you any differently is either a shitty skier and try to balance 50/50 or a good to great ski who has no idea what they are doing.

For and aft balance in straight line is just moving with our skis. I would argue we are never truly in balance in any dynamic balance sport even just going straight but instead we are always striving to remain as much close to in balance as we can. the minute we stop moving to where we need to be we will be outta of balance.

How do we get there?

well first make sure your boots are set up right. Delta/ramp?forward lean get that taken care of so you do not fight your equipment.

Drills I use to find for and aft balance, and like everything it depends on the person I dont ust use blanket drill like helva seemed to imply in the last thread..

basic for and aft balance all done in straight in beginner or near beginner lesson all with a focus on the ankles.

hopping
straight line 1000 steps with a focus on keeping our tips on the snow
shuffles while gliding
pushing your feet out in front and pulling them back underneath you while gliding straight.

FYI mike you are aft but it looked like your boots were just to stiff for you.

lateral balance to me is the ability to be able to balance on our outside ski. and to recover on our inside ski if needed.