Author Topic: Slowly, One Small Mountain at a Time!  (Read 2155 times)

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
Re: Slowly, One Small Mountain at a Time!
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012, 06:36:43 pm »
if I can find issues with the avatar it would be super easy to find issues with any video.

todd I was heads and bounds above all the other DCLs here. I am not just saying that the scores said that.

Lets face it though titles are meaningless.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2012, 07:37:49 pm »
Todd: Thanks.

Everyone:  I deleted a number of posts of multiple people.  I can't begin to say how frustrating I find this.  It's like having a religious argument about "how many Angels will fit on the head of a pin".  No one can prove or disprove their individual OPINION no matter how vehemently or logically or personally it is presented.  More importantly, non Christians are turned off by the mere presence of the arguments and just move on.

Why are we so adamant about our opinions in general, especially when we know the other is equally adamant? Why are Democrats and Republicans and their respective EGO's so locked into their positions that they can't even govern the country?

I don't think Harald really needs any of us to defend his skiing, he seems to be doing just fine.  I also continue to maintain that how well someone skis has nothing to do with their success as an instructor.  Similarly, nothing anyone says here will really affect Josh's success as an instructor or a skier. And even if there were a ski off between any parties it still wouldn't settle anything.

Merry Christmas to all -- Cherish those you love, for that is real life.   a ski forum isn't worth raising your blood pressure over.

Midwif and I are able to have conversations about religion and about politics from different perspectives, and we both realize tht we aren't going to change the other; and we both have a sense of when to just walk away from the conversation.
Why can't we manage to walk away from these skiing religious wars when we get to the brink of nastiness and judgment?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 07:49:04 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

HeluvaSkier

• Consider me the reason you should pay attention...
  • Instructor
  • 100 Posts
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 07:43:53 pm »
Where "fun" trumps "good" as an avenue for teaching is an instructor's arena. Nothing wrong with it since they need to find a way to get clients, but it isn't apples-to-apples when comparing pedestrian instruction to athlete development. That is why now spend my time on athletes who derive fun from skiing well.
All-Mountain: A common descriptive term for boots or skis that are designed to perform equally poorly under a variety of conditions and over many different types of terrain.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2012, 07:52:51 pm »
Todd, with all due respect, BW is the first to point out issues in everyone's skiing on the site often from nothing more than an Avatar.

This is correct.
Not what  one gets from a Pmts  coach.
As is said; got video?

One photo doesn't tell the whole story in WC skiers or non pro's.

L.
"Play it Sam"

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2012, 05:50:48 am »
Guys, In fairness, Bushwacka has posted plenty of videos of himself here and elsewhere--he's got more than just an avatar to judge him by.  You might still judge him harshly, but he has certainly addressed the 'got video' challenge some folks like to throw around.  Hey, for all the love of the Dolphin Turn, He's the only regular poster on the forums that I've seen put of a video of himself doing them.  And then skiing bumps with them.    I don't think Bush is against the acquisition of good technique (or it basis within instruction), but he puts enjoying the mountain as the introductory through graduate goals in learning to ski.   

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2012, 08:26:59 am »
he's got more than just an avatar to judge him by.
The "judge based on the avatar" was from him assessing Lynn's skiing.
Based on her avatar he was able to assert that.
1. she was countering in the spine, not at the hips (correct, she acknowledged that when he first said it a year ago).
2. She had been taught wrong, her PMTS instructors were TEACHING her to twist the spine (pure bullshit).
3. Lynn's skiing was offensive, it hurt his eyes. (more Bushwacka exercising his amazing gifts at winning the hearts and minds of his fellow skiers).
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2012, 08:36:03 am »
Yeah, I agree that judging lynn harshly for any reason is ill-advised and unfair...but especially from an avatar.  But I have always thought that the 'got video' approach yielded little more than bad feelings.

I've said this before, I am under the impression that everyone on this forum, in regards to the general skiing public, is a GOOD skier-and there opinions on skiing are better than average.  Great skier is harder to ascertain, but only by actually skiing with people in person can you really get a sense of what their whole ski experience is about.

Bush can ski, JBotti can ski (and for the record, I watched the vimeo Jbotti stuff...I liked your powder skiing).  Both are involved in instruction and skill acquisition and have ideas to share.   I'm not above debate or diverging statements, but I don't dismiss anyone here on ability or knowledge.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2012, 11:08:30 am »
To be fair; I was not insulted by BW's statement that my skiing hurt his eyes.
It was a harsh statement, but I take almost all the Bush writes with a big grain of kosher salt.
He's a young'un'. With really poor forum skills at times.

I am sorry to see the conversation devolved into  real rudeness to another poster here. I deleted a sentence from BW's post, but other mods felt it was overall, too far gone into mutual aggression and removed a series of posts involving both.

Hey guys! IT"S JUST SKIING! Love it passionately, but for pete's sake, lets just be courteous to one another.

Liam; you are also correct.
BW has posted his skiing and that is more than I want to do here. Maybe I should so you all can have a field day.
My skiing sucks compared to many, but I have SO MUCH FUN!! ANd my goals are to continue improving until I can't any more.

I need to get better. I like dragging Jim all over the damn mountain too much. He gets worried about me at times. I got a bit of the daredevil in me. More moderated than in years previous though. Fracturing my pelvis this summer was sobering.

Merry Christmas All!
Eat, drink, ski and have fun.

Lynn
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:09:15 am by midwif »
"Play it Sam"