Author Topic: First Pow day of the season.  (Read 575 times)

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
First Pow day of the season.
« on: November 30, 2012, 05:30:30 pm »
7-11 Stowe inches, which means there was actually more.  I stupidly did not skin up early and there for my first 2 chairs were kinda of meh because of tracks. Mountain got mobbed by Dawn Patrollers today and its the way it should be, chairlift riding is stupid and today would have been more fun if the chairlift wasnt running. I smarten up and started to skin to the gondi and got 8 runs of untracked goodness.

not my picture but every turn away from the masses felt like this.

quote of the day

after me and Epic just skinned up to the Gondi/ Snowboarder yells at us "did you guys just skin up the boot pack?!" we reply no you hiked up the skin track.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: First Pow day of the season.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 08:20:31 am »
POW and SUN!!!!!.. WIN WIN~

So...was it dry or wet snow?.....in the pic...it looks pefect! What boards did ya take out?

Nice to get such awesome early snow...indeed a gift!
G

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 08:36:55 pm »
define dry and define wet?

the majority of our snow falls at a density drier  than mammoth's  but wetter than alta's.  On this day I d say it was pretty dry, on most days its pretty dry when it falls.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:47:34 am »

quote of the day

after me and Epic just skinned up to the Gondi/ Snowboarder yells at us "did you guys just skin up the boot pack?!" we reply no you hiked up the skin track.

Josh,

I'm a little confused that you skin up to the Gondi? Do you mean that you skin up from the upper terminal of the Gondi to ski your untracked runs?

Anyway, I'm just sitting here on a Philly 60 degree day, waiting for my mountain to do it's mid-December opening on some very limited snow. Jealous, very jealous.

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 11:03:18 am »
The Gondi isn't running yet. Which means that you can get untracked runs if you skin up to the top
we took the Quad then skied down to Cliff Trail and traversed/climbed across. The snow was quite dry. Skiing behind Josh the snow just floated and hung there. I had to give him more space if I wanted to be able to see.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 11:54:18 am »
I feel your pain that the Gondi is not yet up and running!  :D

Even with my limited recall of Stowe's trail networks, it seems like a great way to get some untracked. I would be equal distance behind Josh on both the uphill skinning part and the downhill powder run.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 12:18:02 pm »
Dry: a mist or contrail of snow in the air behind the skier

Wet: clumps of pancake wedges tossed in the air with each turn made.

Right now...I'll take anything!....SOON thought..heading out the 13th...wahoooooooo!

G