Author Topic: Colorado Snow Info  (Read 1864 times)

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: Colorado Snow Info
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 09:47:02 pm »
So where in CO are you planning to ski (and when)?

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 08:36:47 am »
We will be stayine in the Wildernest area of Silverthorne and skiing this saturday thru wednesday.
Leaving wednesday.

Two and three years ago, we had amazing conditions at this same time. Not last year, as you know
Looking forward to being on snow, even with limited terrain and even if on the reviled groomers. ;D
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 08:51:55 am »
So where in CO are you planning to ski (and when)?
First day (Saturday) at Breck finding our feet and acclimating to altitude after getting in at midnight the night before. The altitude thing is usually a challenge for Lynn.
Sunday is a lesson with Bob H. at Beaver Creek.
Monday and Tuesday to be determined.  We have the Epic Pass so one of the Vail resorts.
Are you gonna' be out that way this weekend?
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 02:46:17 pm »
JIm given the lack of lots of snow....I'd take the 74's for carving skills and the 84's for playing! THe 74's will be lighter and quicker under foot me thinks.

Jim, I skied the Peak 84 last April at Banff for a full day.  Morning refrozen corduroy (= ice...hard as granite); afternoon soft mush.  I found them to have surprisingly good hold on the ice, and were pretty much unfazed by the soft spring snow too.  A very versatile ski.  Amazing edge grip on the ice, actually.  No sensation of speed at Mach 3.  Smooth and calm.  Relatively quick edge-to-edge for an 84, but certainly won't be as snappy and quick as a Progressor...more measured and deliberate in it's turn transitions, but not ponderous, if you know what I mean.  Some energy in the tail which can talk back in the bumps, but nothing you won't get used to after a run or two.  Yet for all that, not demanding and easy to pilot.  You will love them. 

If you want the P-800's only for their edge grip on ice/hard snow, then the Peak will have no problem filling that need.  OTOH, I have had my P-9's (70mm) in some soft fresh snow and spring mush, and they handle it remarkably well for a narrow ski...your P-800's should be OK there too.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 02:49:58 pm by Svend »

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 07:13:36 am »
Jim,
The extended forecast does call for snow showers during the weekend, so here's hoping that the weather front lingers and gives up some pow. I presume you will take 2 pair of skis, so, the Fischers and the Heads get to make the trip. FWIW, during the first days, I much prefer narrow skis, but, the new Peak 84's, would be used.

Lynn,
Good luck with the altitude, Summit Co. takes it's toll on we ocean-level dwelling pilgrims invading the high country.

Have a great trip!

And, Happy Birthday to Jim. Only a couple of years ago, "When I'm 64" was favorite tune sometimes, sometimes one that I'd have wished to forget.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 08:12:11 am »
Lynn....Diamox...pl ease...take 1/4 to 1/2 tablet, in morning and same before bed  couple of days before and a couple of days into the trip....works like a charm.

I have the same problem sleeping above 7,000 feet and this prescription med really works.

G

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 08:45:34 am »
GARY
1/4 tablet is for wusses. ;)
I have long experience with Diamox and need the recommended strength.

That, ambien and allegra with some sudafed thrown in are my Colorado cocktail mix!
(Not all at the same time)
Sounds exotic, eh?
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 09:49:59 am »
Wuss I am...ha!
Glad it works for you too Lynn....life saver indeed.

So who's making your cocktails?   :o

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 12:17:50 pm »
ME!
Jim is a newbie drinker.
Turned to the dark side by myself. :D
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 12:24:25 pm »
You guys have a ball...and try to "remember" your holiday... :P

I'm heading up North to Banff...we'll have to compare notes and pics.

Have a great trip...enjoy!

G

FrankyDoodle

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 05:22:27 pm »
Best bet is Jackson Hole.  They have a 51" base on the upper mountain and it will be snowing almost every day for the the next week.  They will open up the tram this weekend giving access to most all the mountain.  If you could change your destination, this would be a great choice.  You also could run over to Grand Targhee, WY which has more snow than JH.

The storm track is changing for the next week and possibly through the new year to include the southern rocky's in the pattern.  The NW, northern and southern rockies all should benefit from the new storm track.  If you go to colorado, 86 the wide rides, bring your junkers or rent.

There are a few websites that give good information on powder chasing: opensnow.com, powerchasers.com, and a precipitation loop website that forecasts out 8 days: http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/model/displayMod.php?var=gfs_sfc_prcp&loop=loopall&hours=hr012

8)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 07:10:56 am »
Hi Frank....welcome to the site!

I really like the link you posted up....I've never seen that kind of satelite forecast before AND...it got me pumped as I'm heading up to Banff with Svend on Thursday, it's nice to see I may get a chance to use my fat boards...HOPING!

Jackson has been getting some great snow for sure. We're heading there in late January so it's nice to see they have such a great base.

Wondering what boards you've got on your shoulder in that pic and where do you ski mostly?

Thanks again and look forward to your posts,

G

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2012, 09:37:49 pm »
14" at Beaver Creek last night, but amazingly little terrain open overall.
Much less open than this time last year, and that was pretty sparse.
Had a very good lesson with Bob Hintermeister today.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 06:52:46 am »
Jim,

Thank Lynn for scheduling the powder during your birthday trip.  :-*

I was watching weather radar and it looked like the Vail area was catching the southern edge of the recent storm.

BTW, ski season in Pa. remains on hold due to some very warm, wet weather. I believe I will be the last of our group to actually ski this season. :(

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 04:19:45 pm »
14" at Beaver Creek last night, but amazingly little terrain open overall.
Much less open than this time last year, and that was pretty sparse.
Had a very good lesson with Bob Hintermeister today.

Don't know anything about the guy, but with a  name like that, he must be good. I wonder what the literal translation of that is.