Author Topic: 177cm Volkl AC4 & Mantra  (Read 1454 times)

Barrettscv

177cm Volkl AC4 & Mantra
« on: April 14, 2006, 04:19:27 pm »
177cm Volkl AC4 & Mantra

Where: Skied the set at Alta on 3/5/06. Provided by Deep Powder House Ski shop.

Conditions at Alta: 6 to 12" of new natural snow fell on 3/03/06; however the traffic on Saturday skied most into a firm base where groomed and to a soft mogul field where left natural. No bottomless conditions to be found. Blue sky, 18F at dawn, 35F at 3PM.

My specs: 5? 11", 215lbs. male, 40th season skiing, former USSA & High School 7-day-a-week competitor in New Hampshire. I use a modern carving technique and I like ice as much as I like soft snow. (maybe a little more?)

Boots: 2003 Salomon Course (red, 130 flex).

Ski: 177cm Volkl AC4
Comments: This is a great ski with multiple talents. I enjoyed the edge to edge quickness and the giant slalom or even slalom like turn shapes. The ski responded to tip pressure and could be steered aggressively even in soft choppy snow. At 177cm, it will give you long turns with superb stability and then throw down a series of rapid shorties like it was an RX8. The ski was not especially tiring or demanding to use, yet was very responsive to aggressive input regardless of conditions.

Ski: 177cm Volkl Mantra
Comments: Not the best ski for the hard snow conditions. It will carve on hardpack, but it?s impossible to adjust the line midturn without provoking a skidded turn. It also was not superior to the iM 88 or AC4 in the soft crud and bumps. It took it across a cut up bowl at high speed to see if it would flatten the uneven surface. I got enough shin bang to dim my enthusiasm. This is not an all mountain ski by my definition.

Cheers,

Michael

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

stwildcat

Re: 177cm Volkl AC4 & Mantra
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 08:58:09 am »
I am thinking seriously about purchasing a pair of the 07 AC4's but having a hard time deciding between the 177cm and the 170cm length. I am 6'1" and 200lbs. I think I am advance skier working to improve technic. I ski old school with my feet tightly together with rapid fire turns. I would much rather make quick turns instead of blasting down the hill. I love the moguls and with my quick turning ability fairly good until I hit the steeper double blacks, then I run into a little trouble.

As for the powder I make it through it but not real gracefully. I just kind of power my way through I think this is due in large part to the previous skis I have used. I don't get an opportunity to ski powder to often and I rarely have a wide waist underfoot so I sink with my 200lbs. This is one of the reasons I am looking into the AC4 but I'm concerned about its use in the moguls and tight areas.

Can someone give metheir thoughts?

Steve

Barrettscv

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 10:55:20 am »
Hi Steve,

The AC4 has a tight turn radius of 17.8 meters and a deep sidecut of 125-82-110mm. This creates a quick and easy to turn ski. A 177cm would be the right size for a 200 pound-er. Only an Atomic Metron or a Nordica Hot Rod offer a tighter turn radius; however these models are not as wide. The Head Monster iM82 with a 122-82-108mm sidecut should also be considered. You might demo these models before deciding.

I heard the 2007 AC4 is slightly revised from the '06 model, my comments are based on the current ski.

I really liked the 2006 AC4. very lively without being overly demanding. A great ski.

Cheers,

Michael
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 11:27:04 am by Barrettscv »

stwildcat

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 01:30:10 pm »
Did you get a chance to test the AC4's in some moguls? How did they handle? Are the tails really snappy or are they soft and provide some smoothness while negotiating the moguls?

Barrettscv

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 02:32:26 pm »
I spent about 1/3 of my time skiing the soft moguls at Alta. Keep in mind these are not the sharp ice mounds often seen out-east; these are nice soft piles of cut-up powder. I found the ski would steer itself well using an active technique. The ski was responsive enough to go where directed and wide enough to flatten any surprises that came along.

The tail is stiffer than most skis, I would say. I have the older Salomon Supermountain and that ski is much softer than the AC4 with a easier personality in the bumps. However the tail on the AC4 is about as stiff as the iM 88 and less stiff than the tail of the iM 77.

If the snow had been firmer, I might have stayed clear of the moguls, however. A big ski in tight moguls is usually a loosing battle for me at my age.

Cheers,

Michael
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 04:40:23 pm by Barrettscv »

stwildcat

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 05:56:12 pm »
Barrett,

Have you by chance had an opportunity to ski the AMC 76? If so what were your impressions? I live in Miami and I don't get an opportunity to demo skis much.

Steve

Barrettscv

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 07:25:26 pm »
Steve, sorry I haven't been on any of the AMC models.

Cheers, Michael

AndrewR

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 11:55:04 am »
I skied the AC4 (06) version for most of my five weeks in Whistler in Jan & Feb 06. They are awesome do anything skis and I would take them out anyday, I haven't ended up with a pair but would happily buy a pair as a do everything ski. I did my Level 1 on them as they inspire such confidence and one knows that they will deal well with all conditions. Like all Volkls they respond to the energy of the skier ie lazy skiers will hate them but energy in equal energy out and the they will rail through everything you throw them out and pop you into that next turn or over the next bump exactly when you tell them too. I am about your build and I tried the 170cm but found that the extra length of the 177cm provided so much more confidence in mixed conditions and did not feel too long in trees and bumps. I found the 170cm just wandered a bit too much when skiing straight.

Hope this helps, the 07 models look awesome and should ski just as well.

AndrewR

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 12:36:26 am »
Skied '07 AC4 in TC - looks good as it has the double edge thingy, a bit stiffer than last years but still very predictable - I would guess that most who skied 177cm last year are going to go for 170cm in this model - it seems to hold just as well, is less vague when straight running and there is shorter factor which is always nice in bumps, trees and chutes. I would not like to be skiing bumps all the time on these (but I do not like sking bmps anyway - I respect my knees too much) but with decent technique they are certainly no worse than any other decent all mountain/ all round ski.

Finally to the bloke/ girl who stole my Allstars from Treble Cone - as an A type male I would normally hope that a binding blows off in a steep chute, under a chair, so the world witnesses your righteous plunge towards multiple injuries over some rocks and perhaps a small drop.

But as I Christian I forgive you and hope that you have more happy skiing days on them than I had as they were only 8 weeks (skiing) old when you took them.