Other Stuff > Biking and other Non-Skiing Activities

My new wheelset

(1/3) > >>

LivingProof:
Some may remember that I've mentioned that my Mavic 700 roadwheels are rusting due to being in a salt air environment near the ocean. They are advertised as "stainless steel" spokes, painted black, but, there are certain steels that develop a rust like exterior without rust penetrating to the inside.  Jim Ratliff offereded me his Nuevation wheelset as he went road bike tubeless with Shimano Dura Ace wheels. We linked up on his homeward commute following a visit to Lynn in NYC, and, I'll be mounting them up. They are in great condition, far better than my 3 year old Mavic's.

Thanks Jim. The power of Peak Skiers friendships is very good thing.

jim-ratliff:

--- Quote from: LivingProof on November 14, 2012, 06:10:05 am ---Thanks Jim. The power of Peak Skiers friendships is very good thing.

--- End quote ---
Mike:  You are welcome. The satisfaction of being able to recycle something no longer used is a very good thing as well.
FWIW, the front is an R28 Aero  but the rear is the M28 Aero (steel free hub body instead of aluminum).

Svend:
Nice one, Jim!

jim-ratliff:

I thought I would stick a copy of this here, since Living Proof's new wheels are Neuvation and there was some conversation about spoke count and wheels somewhere here, although that conversation was about mountain bike wheels and this newsletter article is about road wheels (where the aerodynamics of high spoke count wheels is a bigger issue).

Neuvation Newsletter Thursday Nov 29th
[/t][/c]

How to spec a custom wheel.

We sell lots of custom wheels and often I get asked the best way to spec a wheel.  Here are a few guide lines.
First and foremost, the failure mode for virtually all lower spoke count wheels is rim cracks.  The heavier the rim the stronger and slower it will be.  The more spokes , the heavier and less aerodynamic it will be and the fewer rim cracks you will get.
Our stock wheels are, not surprisingly, a very good indication of what we believe is the best trade off.  On our SL wheels we use a 440 gram 20 hole front rim and a 480 24 hole rear rim.  We find that combination to be a good tradeoff for people even over 200 pounds.  We?ve had 250 pound riders put 10,000 miles on that set of wheels without any issues.
If you are hard on wheels you can break anything but I personally don?t see the need for any front wheels with more than 24 spokes (except for heavy touring) or more than 28 in the rear.
Hubs have improved drastically over the last 10 years and it?s very unusual to experience any failures and when they do happen they are relatively easy and inexpensive to fix.  You can put a lot of money into hubs and really not get much out of it.  We always suggest either our stock Neuvation hubs or the White Industries hubs if anyone asks.
We use Sapim spokes.  Their CX Ray spoke is the strongest spoke around and it?s also very light and very expensive (and used by most of the tour pros.  You can use their Laser spoke and get the same weight and give up a tiny bit of durability and aerodynamics.
[size=78%]We always suggest brass nipples on the drive side of the rear hub.  If you use alloy there is a decent chance they will crack and it?s not worth the weight savings.  For all the other nipples we suggest alloy.[/size][/size][/color][/font][/color][/font]

Svend:
Hey Jim, thanks for posting that.  Very interesting and thought-provoking.  I had convinced myself that my Fisher 29er needs new, stiffer wheels because the spoke count on the stock wheels was low (28), and they weren't laced 3-cross.  The Neuvation article directly contradicts what I have read about wheel stiffness in relation to spoke count; all sources (in the context of mtn. bikes) were citing 32 spoke, 3-cross wheels with solid rims as being de-rigeur for heavier riders like me.  I can only assume that Neuvation's comments apply only to road bike wheels, and that the torgue and impacts that a mtn. bike wheel is subjected to dictate a much different set of criteria for wheel build, and spoke count specifically. 

Confounding this whole question, is the fact that wheel maker Mavic is building their new, highly touted line of 29er wheelsets with only 24 front, 20 rear for Crossmax, and 24 front, 24 rear for the Crossride.  I have not read any independent reviews of these, but I cannot imagine Mavic putting out a flexy, mushy-feeling wheelset.

Interesting subject, and worthy of more discussion with some bike techs.  And some test rides.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version