Author Topic: My new wheelset  (Read 741 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: My new wheelset
« on: December 02, 2012, 08:56:58 am »
Hey Jim, thanks for posting that.  Very interesting and thought-provoking.  I had convinced myself that my Fisher 29er needs new, stiffer wheels because the spoke count on the stock wheels was low (28), and they weren't laced 3-cross.  The Neuvation article directly contradicts what I have read about wheel stiffness in relation to spoke count; all sources (in the context of mtn. bikes) were citing 32 spoke, 3-cross wheels with solid rims as being de-rigeur for heavier riders like me.  I can only assume that Neuvation's comments apply only to road bike wheels, and that the torgue and impacts that a mtn. bike wheel is subjected to dictate a much different set of criteria for wheel build, and spoke count specifically. 

Confounding this whole question, is the fact that wheel maker Mavic is building their new, highly touted line of 29er wheelsets with only 24 front, 20 rear for Crossmax, and 24 front, 24 rear for the Crossride.  I have not read any independent reviews of these, but I cannot imagine Mavic putting out a flexy, mushy-feeling wheelset.

Interesting subject, and worthy of more discussion with some bike techs.  And some test rides.....