Author Topic: Sandy  (Read 1090 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Sandy
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 03:39:52 pm »

The entrance to the Brooklyn Battery tunnel.
It consists of twin tubes, carrying four traffic lanes, and at 9,117 feet (almost two miles) is the longest continuous underwater vehicular tunnel in North America.
That's a lot of water to pump out.

Superstorm Sandy's toll: Mounting deaths, historic destruction, stranded residents
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 03:41:18 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 05:22:52 pm »
Wow, that is a lot of water.  Good pic Jim.

Mike -- good to hear that all is well in Philly.  I looked at the Avalon site this afternoon, and it doesn't look too bad there.  Not catastrophic, in any case.  Let us know how things are at your house there. Hope it's all good.  The buildings in town look in pretty good shape.

Lynn -- likewise, nice to hear that you're in good shape there.  Some of the images I am seeing of NYC are really dramatic.  Unprecedented event there.  Seems like you're almost cut off from civilization with all the bridges and tunnels closed.  Will they be airlifting food into central Manhattan? I think I've seen too many post-apocalypse movies set in New York, and my imagination is providing me some hilarious images of zombies walking the streets and feral dogs attacking the residents.  Too funny.  Do let us know if it gets to that in the coming weeks.   ;D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 06:20:27 pm »
.... hilarious images of zombies walking the streets and feral dogs attacking the residents.  Too funny.  Do let us know if it gets to that in the coming weeks.   ;D
Yeah, I think that pretty much describes normal NYC life, eh?

Lynn says many of the bridges are opening back up. Lincoln tunnel to midtown is ok.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:10:35 pm by jim-ratliff »

smackboy1

• 1 Year Member
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 08:47:26 am »
I'm in central NJ and it's a mess here. We're lucky, we got power back after 14 hours but almost everybody else in this area are still dark. The recorded wind speeds here were 82 mph at the peak.
I'm not a ski instructor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 09:07:46 am »
SmackBoy:
Thanks for checking in, and I'm glad you are well, that you have power (and that you have Internet).
It was amazing to me to find out last summer how difficult it was to be without power for a couple of days.
I assume that you aren't near the NJ coast, since people there really seem to have gotten plastered.

smackboy1

• 1 Year Member
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 12:19:57 pm »
I assume that you aren't near the NJ coast, since people there really seem to have gotten plastered.

I'm inland, near Princeton, and as it turned out unless you were near the ocean, rising water was less of a factor. There was actually heavier rainfall here during Irene. However the wind combined with the wet earth uprooted trees and took out utility poles (only recently repaired from Irene). Some people are probably going to be without power for a long time.
I'm not a ski instructor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 12:25:38 pm »
LP:
I'm sure you've seen it, but the Avalon web site posted a picture of the calm as the eye of Sandy, evidently, passed right over the town.

Quite correct, Sandy landed right where my home is, give or take 10 miles. As was forecasted, the major flooding is north of the eye, so we did get spared from the worst of the storm surge. A friend just inspected my property and it is fine. A neighbor told us that power was never off and there was no water on our street. On a barrier island, the eastern, or ocean side is always higher than the western, or bay / tidal marsh area. Streets parallel to the bay side got 3 feet of water plus, so, there is a lot major clean up. But our island is far better off than the northern neighbors.

In Philly, power was restored last night, totaling almost 24 hours off, and, at noon today the cable tv/internet/phone provider service was restored, so, I'm good to keep spouting my stuff.,

The mid-Atlantic has enjoyed a extended fall warm period, and, Sandy cooled the temps down, at least in the short term. It's finally beginning to feel like ski season beckons. At least 6 more weeks until projected openings of local hills.

Again, thanks for all the well wishes, It's great to be lucky!

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 12:58:12 pm »

This is as good a collection of pictures as I've seen, and 36-39 are WOW.

http://tinyurl.com/9xjplq9

By the way, Svend, it appears that the remnants of Sandy are up in the Toronto area.  Still packing any punch?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:03:03 pm by jim-ratliff »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 01:06:32 pm »
......A friend just inspected my property and it is fine. A neighbor told us that power was never off and there was no water on our street.

Again, thanks for all the well wishes, It's great to be lucky!
Excellent news.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 09:04:03 am »
By the way, Svend, it appears that the remnants of Sandy are up in the Toronto area.  Still packing any punch?

Jim, we had a good blow here Monday overnight, with some powerlines and trees down in the city and in nearby Waterloo.  But in our town all was fine.  Lots of wind, ~80 to 90 km/hr, but no major damage.  Since Tuesday AM it's been calm and quiet.  Lots of rain, but all is well.

BTW, great link to the photos from NYC and NJ.  No. 40 struck me especially -- it reminded me of the pictures of French or German towns in World War 2, with the entire place wiped out, and only a few pieces of the church still standing.  Very poignant and sad.

My heart goes out to all those who lost their houses and businesses.  I really feel for them, and wish them speedy recovery. 

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 09:33:20 am »
Jim,

The series of photo's from NYC and North Jersey clearly showed the awesome destruction caused by Sandy, and, are just so depressing to get through. My mind does not want to enter that sadnmess. Most of us watched Katrina hit New Orleans, and, at least for me, thought nothing like that could happen in the northeast. The warnings of rising seas have been out there for years, this begins to personalize that threat.  In a few hours we leave for the beach community, so we will see it "up close and personal".

At Sandy + 3 days, I'm  emotionally spent.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 10:58:46 am »
BTW, great link to the photos from NYC and NJ.  No. 40 struck me especially -- it reminded me of the pictures of French or German towns in World War 2, with the entire place wiped out, and only a few pieces of the church still standing.  Very poignant and sad.

My heart goes out to all those who lost their houses and businesses.  I really feel for them, and wish them speedy recovery.
Breezy Point is an especially sad story. Lynn says it is primarily an Irish community with lots of firemen and police. The community lost a lot of first responders on 9/11.  And, there was also an airplane that crashed on takeoff from LaGuardia a few years back, killing all passengers -- it crashed into Breezy Point.
And it's entirely possible that some of the firemen watched their friends and neighbors houses burn that night, unable to get to them because the water was too deep to get their firetrucks through.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 11:14:21 am »
Jim,

The series of photo's from NYC and North Jersey clearly showed the awesome destruction caused by Sandy, and, are just so depressing to get through. My mind does not want to enter that sadmess. Most of us watched Katrina hit New Orleans, and, at least for me, thought nothing like that could happen in the northeast. The warnings of rising seas have been out there for years, this begins to personalize that threat.  In a few hours we leave for the beach community, so we will see it "up close and personal".

At Sandy + 3 days, I'm  emotionally spent.
I will say that one big difference, in my opinion, between this and Katrina is the exceptional preparedness, management, and leadership of NYC.  Mayor Bloomberg just seems like the epitome of what a "public servant" should be. Wish we had a lot more like him here in Washington (whichever side of that aisle they sit on).

I'm glad your house is OK. One of the pictures in the series was an ocean front road in Avalon, and it was pretty broken up.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:16:01 am by jim-ratliff »