Author Topic: New wheels for the Paragon?  (Read 1195 times)

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: New wheels for the Paragon?
« on: October 25, 2012, 07:47:19 am »

Laced 3 cross? What does that refer to? I'm not too savvy on wheel builds and lacing -- I presume that means a method of weaving the spokes? Stiffer that way?

From some of these comments, I am thinking that perhaps just re-spoking my existing rear wheel with thicker spokes might be an easy way to go.  Those wheels have certainly held up very well, given my weight, frequency of riding (about 4 hours per week; May to November) and some of the things I bash into with them.  I've mentioned before -- the trails here are pretty smooth, but there are some that are littered with roots, with the odd rock garden thrown in to make it interesting.  Like I said, I have only had to re-true the rear wheel only once in 3 years; the front maybe only twice.  Pretty good record, I'd say...

Svend

Yes, 3 cross means that each spoke crosses over or under 3 other spokes. 2 cross is more common and lighter. It's something you can discuss with a competent wheel builder along with gauge (stress is on competent). Whell building is cycling's rocket science.  If you are happy with your freewheel, you might consider replacing the rim during a respoking.