Author Topic: Bike Headlight recommendations  (Read 951 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Bike Headlight recommendations
« on: September 16, 2012, 10:07:40 am »
Hmmm.  I would have thought that up in the Great North Woods dusk probably happens around 3 or 4 in the afternoon??

I have now accepted that 1 headlight is fine for my roadbike but that two are reallly  nice for off-road if the trail  is even a bit twisty.  As Bush said, it is very nice to always be able to see where your head is pointing, but as Epic said there are some constraints to just using a head light.  Example. I was riding with the light on my head and encountered a section of erosion eating into the side of the trail.  It wasn't "visible" until I was right on top of it.  Time for a test, so I moved the light to the handlebars and went back and approached that section again.  The shadow from the erosion was visible an easy 25 feet (8 meters?) up the trail before I got to it.

This may be well known to avid camera people, because I assume that it's a phenomenon of the light source being at the same viewing angle as the eyes, exactly as with most cameras.  Not that I didn't implicitly believe Epic, but I was still surprised to encounter it.

PS: A plug for NiteRider. The handlebar mount allows me to swivel the light, so I use that to get the light glare out of people's eyes when I'm meeting hikers or other bikers on the trail.  This may not be the intent of the swivel adjustment, but it works.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:13:50 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."