Author Topic: Bike Headlight recommendations  (Read 936 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Bike Headlight recommendations
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 08:51:26 pm »
At the time I had stopped at the car to get a jacket and drink of water, and was just getting back on the bike.  They had probably been watching for a coupe of minutes as they walked up to the car; they certainly were not moving all that fast.

I haven't encountered any other mtb's at night, but saw 10 or more roadies on the after dark half of a recent 30 mile ride, including one 6-8 person group ride. I have encountered hikers out with head lights, but that was close to a campground.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 04:48:10 am »
Just an Update,

The local shop I work in from time to time has started carrying a new line of lights I hadn't used before called : BikeRay.

These are great, great lights---and very economical--I was using a 1300 lumen led, helmet mounted and it was light, bright and comfortable.  The biggest plus is that is MAP's for 180.00 bucks, which is stellar for this much wattage.  These aren't those internet cheapo lights, but awell-built products with real shop and warranty support.

Again, I cannot believe how powerful, light and cheap bike light technology has gotten.  As I often say, these are the good ole' days.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 11:10:54 am »
Thanks for the tip, Liam.  I haven't had much time to shop for this, or do any riding for that matter.  Too much business travel lately.  But I'll be spending next weekend on Vanvcouver Island with my father-in-law, and plan on doing lots of riding out there.  He has kept a very nice Norco Fluid One full susp. bike ('07 model, I think) for me to use when I visit.  He never rides it any more, and eventually he will ship it to me to use as a second bike here at home in Ontario.  It's a blast to ride.

But I digress....he and I always lurk around the great bike shops in Victoria and area, so I will look for new shoes and lights while I'm there.

Thanks for all the help on this....

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:55:14 am by Svend »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 10:46:42 am »
As I approach my first month of night riding, I just wanted to say how much I like the higher powered lights.

For mtb riding (actually, just off road trails) I use handlebar and head light, both on a lower power setting. One points where the handlebars are pointing, the other where I'm looking.  Feels very natural (and I like the redundancy in case something happens to one).

For road biking, one on the handlebar is enough, and even 400 lumens lights up plenty of road. As an unexpected benefit, the handlebar mount swivels, so I spin the light to the side when meeting someone.

HOWEVER, my favorite is using the strobe mode just at dusk.  The reflective parts of street signs as well as automobiles light up for two blocks away.  A bit gaudy, but it sure catches people's attention.

Riding in a light drizzle last night was a new experience, since each drop of moisture catches the reflection of the head light as it falls in front of you.

Thanks again to Epic and Bushwacka.

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 05:11:27 pm »
Wait til you try it in the snow!

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 08:25:31 pm »
I may go riding in the snow just to experience that -- with the light set on flash.

By the way, in the interest of full disclosure I should say that my Cateye wireless cadence / speedometer / odometer doesn't work when the light is turned on. I have to remove the Cateye from the handlebar and stick it in a back pocket farther from the light and closer to the rear wheel sending unit to minimize the interference.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 07:54:02 am by jim-ratliff »