Author Topic: Carbon bars, seatpost  (Read 742 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Carbon bars, seatpost
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 10:50:42 am »
LP -- re. the shifting troubles on your cross bike; are you using flat bars with mtn. bike shifters? If so, what part of the shifting motion is causing pain? Just the movement itself, regardless of how much resistance is presented by the levers? Or only on one of the levers, which happens to be very stiff and hard to move (ie. the upshift lever, left hand, large paddle)? If you elaborate a bit, perhaps I can suggest a fix.  I am thinking that if it's only when you apply a lot of pressure to the big lever (upshift), and we can ease the resistance, then you might be good (?).  Specifically what I am getting at is that there is can be significant resistance at the lever that is caused by friction in the entire line from shift mechanism to derailleur, and alleviated that friction can make shifting much smoother and lighter. 

For example, when I ride my father-in-law's bike, or test ride my daughter's bike, both of which have identical derailleurs and shift levers to mine (SRAM X9), they are both super smooth and effortless to shift, requiring only light pressure on the left-hand upshift lever.  My own bike, OTOH, requires a lot of thumb force and can be a bear to get it to upshift.  The difference? Better cables on the other two bikes -- quality Jagwire, vs. OE cheap cables on my bike.  That, and when lubing the shifter and derailleur mechanisms helps some too, but better cables are really where it's at.  Needless to say, if I keep my bike for next season, I will be swapping cables and going with Jagwire.

Liam -- thanks for the insight.  As I mentioned, I am really impressed by Thomson's stuff, and would not hesitate to buy any of their components.  I will definitely be putting one of their stems on my wife's bike, and it would make a nice combo with a Race Face Next low-rise or flat bar.  The more I hear and read about carbon seat post failures, the less inclined I am to go there, esp. given the marginal benefits.  I think I'll stick to working with a larger rear tire and tubeless conversion to ease the impacts back there. 

I should add -- she is not finding the bike uncomfortable, per se, so this is not the impetus for these upgrades.  She loves the bike, and rides it hard over rough terrain without a word of complaint.  But since I want to upgrade some middle of the road components anyway, the opportunity to make an aluminum hardtail 26er more of a plush ride is certainly worth taking advantage of, and paying attention to this aspect in our choice of parts.

Next thread will be about forks....
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 01:39:04 pm by Svend »