Author Topic: Ski shops you trust  (Read 532 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Ski shops you trust
« on: September 04, 2012, 01:27:47 pm »
Quote from: Legal Disclaimer
Feels like I should insert some sort of legal disclaimer for the following, so here it is. Responses to this thread are strictly the opinion of the individual entering the post, and do not indicate an endorsement or recommendation by the  PeakSkierZone forum. Each endorsement or recommendation should be read in the context of the qualifications and knowledge of that individual poster.
I'm never quite sure how many readers we really have. The log at the bottom of the main screen has, at times, indicated a couple of hundred. How many of those are merely webbots trying to create accounts so they can post spam I can't say.

The recent post by Phil Pugliese representing StartHaus offering Peak 84 skis suggested to me that we should create a thread where those that do post can identify ski shops/shop employees that they feel very comfortable doing business with.  So, everyone feel free to suggest a trusted shop, and that includes the shop that you work at if you wish.

I will start it off in the next post.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:46:40 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Ski shops you trust
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 01:43:03 pm »
Idylwood Ski Shop near Elk Mountain in Pennsylvania.
The owner's name is "Win", and both Midwif and I have bought stuff there. My latest purchase was my Fischer Progressor's in the middle of last year at heavily discounted prices.  Win, more than some down here, was willing to unload inventory near the early end of the local season -- which happened to be in time to use on my next trip to Colorado.

The main attraction for us initially was that he has carried both Head and Fischer skis and Head boots for a number of years, and that is unusual for the East Coast. Beyond that, he is involved with the local youth race team and "trade-up" plans, and "community involvement" like that always resonates more positively with me than a shop that just wants to sell product.

http://www.idlewildskishop.com/
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:50:54 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 03:25:42 pm »
Peak Performance Ski Shop is the best shop in Killington.  Many racers use them.  Their senior bootfitter can be trusted for fine tweaks.  Good machine tunes;  occasionally need a quick pass by hand over aggressive base tunes to establish uniform angles.

Best bet for finding or demoing Head skis in central Vermont:  Forerunner Ski Shop in Killington.  But if you buy new skis there, use Peak Performance -- a 1 minute drive down the access road -- to get them tuned.

If you're the sort of skier who lays 'em over and are looking for alignment services on the east coast, contact Glenn Scannell who is an independent contractor working out of the Sport Thoma ski shop at Waterville Valley, NH.  Glenn works by appointment only and is heavily booked in early season by racers.

If you're the sort of skier who lays 'em over and are looking for alignment services in the PNW, contact Jay Peterson for an appointment through his website http://skiersynergy.com.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 06:40:01 pm »
As mentioned in another thread, for tuning:

Precision Ski in Frisco, Co.

Recommended by Harald Harb and has lived up to expectations.
Like the Idlewild, PA store that Jim mentioned, they cater to a more local clientele, including  younger racers.
Didn't have the skis I wanted to demo though. But have had the best  tunes there.

Some of the worst tunes ever experienced were around Sugarbush, Vt.
But I love the mountain.

lynn
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 06:58:43 am by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 06:06:26 am »
Got two great shops for Eastcoasters:

1. Valley Bike and Ski Werks in Hadley, MA (on Rte 9-Russell St)-owned and operated by 4 very excellent bikers and skiers-great prices and selections, excellent service and a top-notch boot fitter on hand.  They have a good website, I'd trust these guys in gear advice, fair pricing, tuning, and boot fitting.  So so a lot of other skiers/ riders in the region.

2. Bicycles and Skis Unlimited in Greenfield, MA (High St).  Right off of rte/ 91n (and easy stop-2 minutes- on your way to vermont).  Slightly lower profile ski shop, but they have excellent pricing, good selection and they have the best, most knowledgeable, grizzled-old ski tuner/ boot fitter/ ski gear advice giver in Massachusetts-Phil Sheridan.  Top national junior racers and hard-core adult rippers trust their gear to Phil, and his dead-on, often economical advice on boots, skis and fitting is wonderful.  Bob Perry who owns the shop is great, always willing to work a deal (bikes and skis) and really serves the regional population well.

Anyone in southern New england would do well at either of these shops.   If either one ever closes it'll leave a gaping hole in the product end of the ski culture of western, ma.

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 04:40:27 pm »
Thanks Jim. I am verklempt.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 06:30:38 pm »
Well I don't see it explicitly so let me say that I have been doing business with Start Haus in Tahoe for years and it is a great shop. Jim Schaffner is truly one of the best bootfitters in the country (not just a title that he chose for himself) and their knowledge and abilities in and around prepping and tuning skis is state of the art. Jim is doing less bootfitting these days and turning this over to others but his staff is superb pretty much across the board. There are actually only a few shops that I trust to do a base grind on a ski and Start Haus is one of the few. Lastly if you are ever interested in foam liners Jim's work there for me on multiple occasions has been phenomenal.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 07:31:11 am »
It's now been 7 (great) years since I resumed skiing, and, have never had a trusting relationship with a brick and mortar ski shop. I've always been somewhat uncomfortable in the store environment, so many skis, clothes, and miscellaneous gear, not to mention some really big price tags. In a couple of minutes, I just don't think a meaningful dialogue can be established between myself and most technical sales people. I'm not bender of skis to predict performance; the wall of skis in a shop is overwhelming.

So selected internet gear experts have become my trusted ski gear research consultants. I've come to believe and trust Harald Harb, Dawgcatching, Philpug, and Sierra Jim, to name a fw. On our site, John Botti, Max, Helluvaskier, High Angles and Bushwacker are people worthy of listening too. (and sometimes sorting out the personal preferences differentiating them)

However, I do have a great friend and trusted adviser in Phil Pugliese. We did get to spend days on snow while he resided in Philly, but, he's now located in Tahoe as a member of the Start Haus team. I would refer anyone to Phil for gear procurement via Start Haus. Great advice, great pricing, great service.

The Haus did a great job of tuning a pair of skis for me, Phil gave me guided tour of the tuning room during my Tahoe visit last season. It's impressive. They do work for many racers in that area evidenced by at least 20 pairs of skis dropped off for tunes by the racing-set parents.

In the Philly area, if I needed boot fitting done, I'd go to Billy Caplan in the Southampton Pa. area. He's independent and has great boot fitting specific shop. I keep saying this, but the next time I get to Denver, I will visit Harb Ski Systems and finally get my alignment done.