Author Topic: 650B at the Olympics  (Read 390 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: 650B at the Olympics
« on: August 14, 2012, 10:04:32 pm »
Rocky MOuntain is also going big on 650B next year. Have you seen the video of their "fro-riders" riding XC bikes. Apparently, they destroy 29ers in less than a day, but want bigger wheels and the 650bs don't fall apart under them.

Maybe in 10 years I'll be ready to drink the 650 Kool-Aid, it's been 10 tears since 29ers became mainstream and tire and wheel selections are still limited.

Really? Wow, that's at least 5 years longer than up here.  When I bought my 29er in Toronto in the fall of 2009, only a handful of stores carried them (and there are literally dozens of bike shops within an hour of my house).  And those that did, had only a single model to choose from.  Mainstream three years ago? Not so much....  But a lot has changed since then, and I would guess that more than half the bikes in the local races are now 29ers. 

So if this late adoption is any indicator, it might be a long time until 650B takes a foothold here.  OTOH, if Norco and Rocky, two Canadian brands, are getting into these in a bigger way, perhaps they will catch on more quickly than 29ers did.  Perhaps the opposite trend will occur -- early adoption in Canada; later in the US.....  We'll see.....

But, like you, it'll be a while before anyone in our family jumps on a 650B bike.  We're all happy with our rides, so no need to trade in our wheels just yet.  But when the time comes, I'm looking forward to having some nice 650B's to choose from.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:07:40 pm by Svend »