Author Topic: Dynastar technology claim  (Read 523 times)

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Dynastar technology claim
« on: August 01, 2012, 05:00:35 pm »
I'm scratching my head trying to understand this quote from the "technologies" section of Dynastar's 2012/13 website.  (I admit that I have a hard head and sometimes good ideas have difficulty gaining entry.)

ALL SNOW ROCKER

A fairly long, progressive tip-only rocker for improved terrain absorption and impeccable flotation in powder. Ski rotation is facilitated making fore/aft balance easier and reducing muscle fatigue off-piste. The flat tail means you don't lose the tail pressure required for high speed Freeride or off-piste jump landings. [emphasis added]

How does facilitating ski rotation make fore/aft balance easier? 

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Dynastar technology claim
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 09:30:11 pm »

Seems obvious to me, but I don't want to embarass you by explaining the obvious. Think about it some more.
hint, grasshopper. -- isn't lack of balance itself a form of balance?  ;D
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 12:00:54 pm »
So many great minds missing the obvious! :P
"Play it Sam"

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:14:52 pm »
Todd,

I visited the Dynastar website and below is a link to the description, with diagram, of the "All Snow" rocker. Dynastar also has 3 other rocker profiles, (all mountain, trail and twin tip). I must admit, the various configurations of rocker and tip rise confuses the hell out of me.

http://www.dynastar.com/index.php?_lang=US&_cnt=US&alias=dynastar-technologies&alias=dynastar-technologies&function=showTechno&insidefile=technoDetails.html&oidtech=PRDTECH:d6td82rqh6dit

For what it's worth, this profile is used in the Cham series of Dynastar skis, and, I did get to demo both the 97 and 107 during my Tahoe  trip last year. In soft new snow conditions, I did enjoy skiing them as they were lighter and easier turning than my Dynastar Sultan 94's. The Cham series is not universally well received in the Epic forums.

If I were to make a guess as to the claim of increased fore/aft balance, if the tip rocker floats more than traditional camber, the skier may not have to get forward as much to engage the tip, so standing simply over center and rotating should work. But, what do I know, eastern hard pack oriented fool that I am? I still struggle with marketing that suggests a fat ski is good in normal trail conditions.

Personally, it's all marketing hype - reminds me of the disclaimer issued on many food supplement claims stating "these claims have not been evaluated and approved...." 

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 11:11:51 pm »
That's actually what I was assuming. The skis improve balance by eliminating the need for it. If the skis are easy to rotate because of the rocker, then none of the antiquated fore-aft pressure management skills are required.

I have to admit that I feel almost like someone bemoaning the lack of skills to ski real skis back when "parabolic/shaped" skis were first introduced.

I can imagine that my friend that only skis 3 days per year and "windshield wipers" her way down the hill would like the change in 'balance' and would find them much easier on her knees than twisting her current skis.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:56:36 am by jim-ratliff »

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 08:31:42 pm »
first I kinda of hated the chams as they are really kinda of floppy and clown shoe like. their rockered twin tips are much more to my liking.

again the reason why I love rockered skis is because yeah they make it easier and more fun for me. I guess I must windshield washer turn down the whole hill since that what everyone on rockered skis does right?

also tip rocker let me stand on the tip more in soft snow than a convential skis, in fact reading most rockered skis review by skilled and opened minded skiers pretty much says the same thing that you can be further forward with out getting caught in the snow.

good luck being as quick as we are in this video on non rockered skis and with out ever using rotary.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 11:06:52 pm »
Josh:
Relax, I wasn't challenging your manhood.  Even I agree that rockered skis and you were meant for each other.
Midwif and I were just being summer goofy commenting about the ad person's copy.
In fact, it wasn't even about the skis.
And then I realized that my friend would probably like such a ski.  She only skis about 3 days per year, twists her skis to turn, and has very sore knees by the middle of the afternoon on easy Virginia terrain.  A rocker ski would facilitate her technique.  But it does't logically follow that everyone that skis rockered skis ergo uses that same technique.

PS.  Are you still having access problems from your IP?

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 07:33:44 am »
first I kinda of hated the chams as they are really kinda of floppy and clown shoe like. their rockered twin tips are much more to my liking.

again the reason why I love rockered skis is because yeah they make it easier and more fun for me. I guess I must windshield washer turn down the whole hill since that what everyone on rockered skis does right?

also tip rocker let me stand on the tip more in soft snow than a convential skis, in fact reading most rockered skis review by skilled and opened minded skiers pretty much says the same thing that you can be further forward with out getting caught in the snow.

good luck being as quick as we are in this video on non rockered skis and with out ever using rotary.

That's a pretty excellent video btw.

Almost all the reviews I've heard on the chams are negative...too bad, as I have had great luck with Dynastars (the 4x4, omeglass, contact 9, and soon the speed course Ti--which will hopefully become part of my goto two ski quiver with the new Icelantic Nomad RKR-my frst rockered ski).

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 07:57:35 am »

Liam:  Congratulations on the Nomads.  Make sure you post a review and let us know about your transition to RKR.