Author Topic: How I spent my birthday in Montreal (or My Arse is killing me 2)  (Read 346 times)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Woke up to a beautiful saturday the 28th.
Our hotel was on the edge of the Latin quarter and we were directed to a truly
outstanding breakfast restaurant.

We decided to head down to the old city and just followed the bike path.
We were amazed at the number of people biking and using the extensive bike "sharing" program.
You can rent a bike , using your credit card , for $7/day from many of the freestanding bike areas.

Couldn't ask for prettier day. High 70's,sunny, low humidity.
We took one of the bridges off of Montreal onto one of the islands in the St. Lawrence.
The path brought us down to the Parc Jean Deprau with an asphalt  formula race track in use as a bike path on this fine day.

So, a little bit practicing the "tip to turn" talked about elsewhere and a front tube forensically diagnosed as going flat (after the fall), yours truly ended up in the ER with a fractured pelvis.
And we had reservations for such a nice meal planned!

Off the bike for 4-6 wks it seems.
Damn and I was hoping to  do more miles this year than last.

After determining that no treatment other than TOT/pain meds were needed, we left the next afternoon for Quebec.
Had those Chateau Frontenac reservations and no need to let them go awasting.

Quebec is very pretty, very touristy.  I would not choose to stay at the Chateau Frontenac again, but would prefer someplace not in the middle of the heart of the tourist mecca. But quite a magnificent building overlooking the bluff out onto the St. Lawrence.
And quebec is the perfect city to  plan to ride by bike to explore. Maybe next time??

"Play it Sam"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
That must have been a very impressive crash. Did it look anything like this?

Maybe next year try riding from Montreal to QC on la Route Verte.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:46:55 am by epic »

gandalf

• Administrator
  • <100 Posts
not as many parts flying around, happened on the exit side of the hairpin, rider was instantly ejected.
otherwise, pretty much the same. Didn't look like either pilot walked away from the scene.

but WOW. To be going 180 mph at that point is amazing, because the track looked much smaller in person.

Boyfriend feeling very guilty about inadequate bike maintenance and support.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
OUCH!  :'(

Lynn,
My best wishes for a great, and quick, recovery! What a bummer that a B'day week trip crashes (pardon the pun), I hope you and Jim can still have a memorable trip up north.

I've been following the thread about increasing riding skills and implementing some of the movements does increase cornering risk, at least at the outset. We ride, we ski, we fall.

And happy birthday to my fellow Leo. Sunday is my day, now the question is should I take that day off as we have a fine dinner planned?

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Karma may be catching.
I recommend a bubble bath,wine and keeping those fine dinner reservations, BUT NO BIKE RIDE
on your birthday.
And yes, Happy Birthday to a fellow Leo.
Hope your day is a fun one!

Lynn
"Play it Sam"

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
I would like to iterate that this summer SUCKS!!!

Had a visit with an orthopedic doc today. I was expecting "wow, you're healing at an amazing rate!".
Instead it was. "good range of movement. Another 4-6 wks of healing ahead".
No biking riding, pelvic support when sitting to aid in healing. Swimming encouraged.

I can't really "crutch" more than 5 blocks of NYC walking before feeling worn out. Early in day is better.
By early/mid afternoon I am blown if I have tried to get too much done. You know, like laundry.
Sheesh!

Thank god I did not use sick time indiscriminately. But will probably need to use more than I hoped for.

Everyone, keep on truckin".
Do a mile for me please!
I am getting fat being a couch potato.  :-[ :'(

L.

"Play it Sam"

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Lynn,

At least your injury is not during ski season. :D Plenty of time to heal before December.

I was thinking about you yesterday as I was laying on my back and getting up from a fall. I was practicing some track-standing following a ride ( I suck at that skill btw ) and was about to dismount. My leg  did not clear the saddle, so down I went. Luckily, no damage other than bruised ego.

A question i've always wanted to ask a NYC'er is how do you shop for groceries? One day at a time? So now that you are on crutches, it has to be much more difficult. Does Jim come up once a week with a whole car full of stuff from the supermarket?

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Mike
Sorry to hear you also felt the bite of the road from your bike!
My daughter is now a college graduate, living at home again and available for
shopping duties.
Also, I can just go across the street, buy what I need and have it delivered.
Shopping cart support at times.

Also, I am now walking around my apartment "cruising" a bit and using a cane at other times.
One crutch is all I need for support when going out.
I will be back at work in 2 weeks.

The real work will be to restrengthen my right leg. Significant muscle atrophy going on here! Yuck!

L.
"Play it Sam"