Author Topic: some stoke from vermont  (Read 915 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: some stoke from vermont
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2012, 02:34:18 pm »
Looking at your avatar picture, it looks like the people in Kansas don't grow at 90 degrees either.   :D 

Oh, wait....that's a ski move...sorry Jim.  ::)  My bad....  ;)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 03:05:49 pm »
The picture is tilted.  If you rotate the picture 10 degrees either direction then you get a better idea of my true ski skills.

Actually, many of the trees in Kansas don't grow at 90 degrees. They lean north because of the steady winds from the south during the growing season.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 08:23:42 pm »
Actually, many of the trees in Kansas don't grow at 90 degrees. They lean north because of the steady winds from the south during the growing season.

My point exactly.  In your picture, you are clearly leaning north.   ;D 

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 06:14:17 pm »
climbing traction galore from maestro, and torque from my legs at Millstone

the endless bridges of Burnham Down on Burke Mountain.

Go team green

epic on the Gnar of Dead Moose Abuse, Kingdom Trails

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 06:54:00 pm »
Great pics.  Good one Josh.

The bottom one is of quality worthy of magazine publication.  Very nicely done.  What camera was that taken with?  I have a good point-and-shoot, but always seem to end up with way too much contrast in the forest shots on a sunny day.  Makes the pics look terrible.

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2012, 07:09:13 pm »
would you believe if I told you that everything your seeing here is Epic's B level stuff?

I have no idea on the camera.....since its his. but I do know that the reason for these shots looking great is a couple remote flashes, powered by pocket wizards. every shot you see with one person is a three person operation. the shot of epic is epic riding, Mike thomas shooting, and me with a flash.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2012, 07:15:07 pm »
OK.  I'm impressed.  That's some real talent at work, and a lot of effort and care in the shots.  Very well done!  Congrats to you all.

And no wonder my shots don't look like that  ::)  Can't hope to replicate that quality with a little pocket camera.

This is about the best I've got....

[old attachment deleted - file maintenance]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 07:35:05 pm by Svend »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 09:50:25 am »
May I ask how you guys embedded the photos directly into your posts? All I seem to be able to do is add them as attachments, but yours are inserted directly into the body of the post.  Let me know your.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:59:32 am by Svend »

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2012, 06:44:23 pm »
What camera was that taken with

The camera is a Nikon D700 we were using a Nikon SB-700 and a SB-900 with PocketWizard triggers. They really help a lot with contrast on sunny days. Which isn't to say it can't be done. In that shot of me, the sun is really bright without the flashes that would have pretty much been a silhouette. Flash duration is like 1/3000 of a second, so with a shutter time of 1/2500, the camera sees all of the flash, but not all that much sun.

You can get some decent shots with the P/S. My advice... get closer.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2012, 07:31:48 pm »
The composition with the more distant rider was intentional, intended to show the larger forest environment and the small rider within (not to get too profound about it).  Most of my other shots are of the rider in closer proximity.

But composition is a personal matter, and as I mentioned, the quality of shots taken on a sunny day in the middle of the woods is really what is stumping me.  The scenes just do not come out right.  Very harsh contrast, poor colour saturation, poor details in highlights and shadows.  Most unappealing....

Having a pro-level camera sure seems to help, with the bigger sensor collecting just that much more information.  You can see the depth of colour in your pics is so much better.  I will have to play with the programming settings on my pocket camera to see if I can adjust the contrast range or something like that.  I am a former film guy, avid B&W fine print photographer, and had my own darkroom (before kids).  This digital stuff is still somewhat of an enigma as to how to control it.  The Zone System? Piece of cake! Digital sensors? Er, not so clued in....

Nice work, Epic.  I enjoyed looking at those.