Author Topic: some stoke from vermont  (Read 922 times)

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
Re: some stoke from vermont
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 07:13:34 am »
some more from epic's and others camera's

riding the berms at Norwich University trails

Manualin the monster truck

Epic on some of the buffest trails anywhere

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 08:55:45 am »
Nice socks, Josh! Checkered flag theme makes you faster, eh?

Great pics, though.  Looks like some fun trails down there.  Very similar to what's around here.  No berms here, though, which is too bad as they look like a blast to ride.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 09:17:01 am »

That last picture of Epic looks like a nice example of what I call counter balancing, or tipping the bike more than is required by balance to tighten the turn. 
Something that I'm working on, rather than more rotary of the handlebars.
Nice pictures.

Josh, a question about your bar ends. They look awfully flat (horizontal) compared to where I find mine to be comfortable. What am I missing?  Is it because you are out of the seat or weight more forward much of the time that you find that angle comfortable?
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 10:08:36 am »
epic is barely turning really that section IMO is straight.

The angle of those bars end was set like this. I left them lose enough to move but just tight enough to ride mellow trails. I moved them where they felt most comfortable and then tighten them. generally they are only used while climbing or flatter road section.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 10:27:22 am »
I was just about to say that Epic was perfectly straight and it was the camera that was tilted (unless there is some forest in Northern VT where the trees all grow crooked  :D)-but Josh beat me to it.

Good photos as always.
Lot's of great places to ride in VT...there's so much more (and better) riding in VT than KT.

That Rocky Mountain is one of 2 29ers I'm keen to demo.   I'm hoping to get a chance to pedal an early edition Trance X 29er later this fall through the local shop (we deal Giants, among others)--I always liked the Anthem 29er, but not enough to give up the Hard Tails....this one might do it, though.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:31:55 am by Liam »

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 10:36:51 am »
IMO the trance 29er is going to be better bike than the Anthem X 29er for more people.

slacker angles, longer top tube, and shorter chain stays. I do not really like any of the builds really though.

My dream trance 29er is this

suspension
Fork - 140mm Revelation RCT3 dual air(if I can find one)
shock -Monarch Vivid Air Rear shock

Brakes - XTR Trails/XO Trails not sure which ones yet.

Wheelset

Enve Carbon with DT swiss 240s

Drivetrain

full XX1

dropper post

Rockshox Reverb

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 10:57:14 am »
IMO the trance 29er is going to be better bike than the Anthem X 29er for more people.

slacker angles, longer top tube, and shorter chain stays.

I think you are right.  I like the geometry of the Trance.  It is very similar to my Fisher, but with slightly longer CS on the Trance.  IMO it just works so well for all conditions while still being fun to ride and not have lazy handling.  Very well balanced design, and more 29ers seem to be adopting this geometry as this class of bike matures.

Nice bike, the Trance is....

Is Epic riding a Rocky? Is that what Liam was referring to? If so, which one?

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 12:08:32 pm »
Your dream wheelset will cost more than your bike, however, Josh  :D

A friend of mine (just moved back from Northern, VT in fact) has a pro sponsorship from Enve and loves their rims.  I'd love them, too....but I'd also like to stay married and have to forgo 2500.00 mountain wheel sets!  I'm happy with my 'ghetto' Stans Flow 29er rims laced to Hope Hubs by the one and only Dave Thomas (no, not of Wendy's) of Speedream wheels.  Best builder in the business.

I think I would only want to upgrade the wheel set from the giant brand on the trance.   Though, I do like a 20mm thru axle over the 15mm as well (and I have long preferred the better Rock Shock forks to the unserviceable Fox Forks).  For me, Drive train bits are drive train bits, doubles/ single/ xo, xt, xx...sure some are nicer than others, but matter very little in the long run.  The key to a great bike is Wheels, tires, a Frame and a Fork the rest is just window dressing.

Though...the XX1 is another exciting (if pricey) option, I think I can wait for that to trickle down to the XO and X9 levels before buying in.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 12:39:08 pm »
For me, Drive train bits are drive train bits, doubles/ single/ xo, xt, xx...sure some are nicer than others, but matter very little in the long run.  The key to a great bike is Wheels, tires, a Frame and a Fork the rest is just window dressing.

Though...the XX1 is another exciting (if pricey) option, I think I can wait for that to trickle down to the XO and X9 levels before buying in.

Just remember, last year's XTR/XO is this year's XT/X9.  I'm with you on that one Liam (and with everything else you said above) -- if it shifts gears and does it with nary a grind or a clunk, it's good enough for me (although some of lower end stuff is a bit rough around the edges, I do admit).  On our bikes we have some X7, X9, and XT Shadow -- kept tuned and lubed, they all snick through the gears with just a whisper.  The XT Shadow, in particular, is so stealthy quiet in shifting I can barely hear my wife coming up behind me to pass (this happens often  ::) ).

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 12:50:42 pm by Svend »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 12:50:59 pm »
Your dream wheelset will cost more than your bike, however, Josh  :D

Just wanted to pass along that the Neuvation web site (specializes in wheels, but has some other stuff) has been really pushing Enve wheels at very agressive prices (and with various rims). Take a look and see if their prices are as good as I think they are.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 12:57:30 pm »

So if I look at Epic, the fork/front tube is pointing at his inside shoulder.  If I look at the front wheel vs. the rear wheel, there is about the same steering slip angle as Josh shows in the first picture when he is up on a bank and turning much sharper? If I look at the relative angle to the ground, Epic's bike looks tipped while he remains upright more so than Josh's in the first picture.  -- 

At least that's the way it looked to me, so I appreciate the correction from better and more experienced eyes.
I do see that Epic is not in as sharp a turn as Josh.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 01:25:03 pm »
Trees grow at 90 degrees (roughly) even on the sides of very steep mountains, tilt the picture so the trees are straight up and down, then it looks more like the side to side tilting sometimes generated by out of the saddle pedaling effort.

There is a picture on the first page of this thread (I believe of the same rider) that shows a little more of a true cornering situation....and then there's Josh on the high berm....berms allow for downright thrilling, high-speed, MXer style cornering (which is why people build them in the first place)--they take care of the whole angulation thing for you so you only have to focus on speed and line (both of which can be far more aggressive in a well built berm).

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 01:26:39 pm »
Hey Jim,  I think it's a bit tricky to analyze mtn. biking technique and body position from just one picture, esp. one that was not intended to be used as an example of a particular move or technique, etc..  Riding off road is so dynamic, and the body does not remain static for more than a few seconds, or never on a rough trail.  A snapshot may catch a rider in what seems like an odd position, but what is really just part of the flow of movement across the terrain.  If you notice, Epic is up off the saddle in that pic, and, like any good rider, is probably letting the bike move up and down and side to side beneath him as it moves over the uneven terrain -- staying loose and letting the bike find it's way, in other words.  The pic may have just caught him in such a moment when the bike was tilted slightly.   For this sort of thing, nothing beats video; or even better, being there. 

Anyway, that's my take on it.....  I'll let the guys who were actually there sort that out.

Cheers!

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2012, 01:35:07 pm »
That picture is just after landing a scrub from the jump right behind. So as much as it's setting up the next turn, it's also straightening out from before.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2012, 01:48:20 pm »
Trees grow at 90 degrees (roughly) even on the sides of very steep mountains, tilt the picture so the trees are straight up and down, then it looks more like the side to side tilting sometimes generated by out of the saddle pedaling effort.
Being from the flatlands of Kansas, I don't think I ever knew that.
Yes, that changes the perception quite a bit.