Author Topic: some stoke from vermont  (Read 916 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: some stoke from vermont
« on: July 24, 2012, 12:13:53 pm »
Liam, that's good to know about Giant.  I just remember comparing their 26" hardtails, in about the $2000 range, to other brands a few years ago when shopping for a bike for my wife.  Giant really didn't measure up in that category, but then again, neither did Specialized or GT or Trek or Cannondale.  This was at a time when the US dollar was trading at +30% against the Canadian dollar, so the US brands were getting nailed with the exchange rate and import duties.  Canadian and European brands were far more attractive -- Rocky, Norco, De Vinci, Scott, etc.  She ended up buying a sweet XC race bike from a small Montreal maker named Opus.  It was just way better value for money -- same components as US bikes costing $500 more, and far nicer frame build too.  That has since changed now that the currencies are more or less at par, and things have leveled out a lot.

I bought my Fisher at the same time, and although it was from the US, it was at a better price because 29ers were a really hard sell in Toronto at the time -- few shops carried them, and those that did had a tough time convincing their customers of their merits.  They were anxious to make a deal.  Unfortunately, there being little choice in models, I ended up with the Paragon.  This is a decent bike, and great fun to ride, but with all the improvements in 29er design and frame quality since then, and far more choice out there with virtually every brand, I would not buy the same bike today.  The components are fine, the geometry works well, but the frame is just not up to par.  Compared to, say, a De Vinci frame, there is a night and day difference. 

In fact, I am starting to snoop around the web at the bike company sites to see what's new in 29er hardtails, with the idea of possibly trading in the Paragon for a new ride sometime in the coming months.  Haven't made it to the Giant site yet (except to check out the Anthem) but will do so soon and see if they have a good hardtail.  So far I like the Marin, Niner and Kona models.  De Vinci has a beautiful frame, but only so-so components that would need upgrading.  I'm not even looking at Specialized or Trek/Fisher.  Not sure what Cannondale or GT have in 29ers, but will check 'em out.  I'll get into some shops and kick some tires soon too.  Should be fun.