Author Topic: GPS  (Read 206 times)

max_501

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
GPS
« on: July 16, 2012, 10:51:10 am »
Anyone have a handlebar mounted GPS that they really like for MTB? Looking for something that is easy to read and easy to load gps maps into.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 02:17:43 pm »
The Tour d'France has also been advertising something new that uses your iPod for the processing power and apps for the brain (maybe with some add-on interface hardware).

I also have a "My Tracks" Google app, but it's definitely low end. Convenient for seeing where you've been and what the altitude and speed were, overlays on Google maps, and can color code when you were above, around, or below your average speed. But, like I said, it's a free app.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 02:38:15 pm »
Smarthpones aren't rugged enough for a handlebar mounted MTB gps.
OK. Reason I didn't respond to the original request. Mine recorded the 103 miles of the SeaGull Classic, but that was road bike.  I'm sure the dedicated function Garmin is better.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 06:59:13 am »
I think the best thing that could happen to these GPS units is an open OS that would allow developers to make apps for them. I have a GPS Map 60CSx which works great as a GPS, but not so great is the interface with my Mac.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 12:27:05 pm »
Max, re. your original question:  my brother uses a Garmin hiking GPS with an accessory handlebar mount.  He has had it for about 5 years, has given it a good beating both on and off his bike, and it keeps on ticking.  According to him, it has a larger screen than bike-specific units.  It is about the size of an iPhone, but a bit thicker.