Author Topic: going out of my comfort zone  (Read 149 times)

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
going out of my comfort zone
« on: July 12, 2012, 08:34:20 pm »
My goals have changed. 2013 MTB nationals in Bear Creek, Pa. more on that later

to reach those goals I have stepped out of my comfort zone and starting doing some TTs. On road bike vs a bunch of ti geeks on TT bikes. I have done well being the faster non areo bike every flat one and beating alot of people with aero stuff and let me tell you I am not aero. Visor helmet, MTB shoes and normal drop bars.

Yesterday I had my best finish so far with a 2nd on a 'climbing" TT. Its would be a Cat 2 climb if it was in the Tour. With out the aero advantage it came down to power to weight. My 180lb(heaviest in the field) was propelled up the hill by an average of 374 watts for 21 minutes. 2nd best power to weight and I got 2nd:).  TT is a great way to build FT power and I am getting close to the magical 5 watts per kilo for FT figure that it takes to ride at a Pro level in MTBing.

I know its a sweet blog, but I am stoked
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 08:45:48 am by jim-ratliff »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: going out of my comfort zone
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 06:50:44 am »
Josh,

Best wishes in you competitive goals for the summer. I'm no expert on conditioning, but, stressing your body in road bike races has to be great way to get closer to peak performance. Is 180 your typical weight, somehow, I thought you were leaner?

Minor rant, I hate TT bikes, and, would limit Tri competition to traditional road bikes. My thinking is that the athlete is what's being measured and the use and cost of a extremely specialized bike with wheels, that performs like crap when not going straight, violates the intent of the competition. there are no excuses when running or swimming, but one can  buy their way to a better riding time. Each year, there is a tri race in our summer hometown and I love to watch the event. It scares the hell out of me to stand near a 90 degree turn and watch the TT's try to corner at speed, I've seen some bloody crashes. I applaud your use of a traditional bike.

Are your climbing TT conducted on straight roads?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 08:46:15 am by jim-ratliff »

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
Re: going out of my comfort zone
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 09:03:58 am »
normally during ski season I am usally like 165 to 170. I know this is not going to make sense but I put on muscle mass to easily. Right now with riding everyday I have put a ton of leg mass on. It really can be freakish. Any time I make a serious attempt of limiting my diet I end up with alot less power to weight. Right now I am at 4.85 watts per Kilo getting to the 5 plus range put me on par with mid pack Elite MTBer, 5.5 would put me solidly into I could pedal with nearly anyone range.

isee where your coming from on the Tri thing, but my guess is those getting into know the cost of the bike, and in all honesty a cheap tri bike with 8 speed stuff bought for hundreds of dollars would still be better than a maxed out modern aero road bike with a couple grand of Zipp wheels on it.  I actually hate when organizer put a limit on equipment. For instance the 32mm tire rule in cross, or the for the race to the top of vermont you must run 2.0 tires on your bike. Me being a tinker loves to get every ounce of go out of what ever I am racing.

since I am doing the TT to train FT power it wouldnt matter if I was on my road bike, TT bike or MTB really. Its about training myself, good finishes are just a nice by product.

The climb was on straightish road, its the road that goes up to Stowe Mountain Resort, but goes beyond the resort as well. Not sure how turns would help or hurt anyone.

here is the elevation profile

http://www.onionriver.com/wp-content/results/smug_notch_tt.pdf