Author Topic: Talking about road tubeless  (Read 1030 times)

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: Talking about road tubeless
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 02:45:21 pm »
I think this thread needs to be subtitled "Better Living Through Chemistry". I'm feeling obsolete. :-X

Jim,
Your plan seems realistic and your experience should pull you through. Just thinking out loud but my experience is that high speed road flats tend to beat up the tire pretty good. It's counterintutive to believe the original bead will remain sealed. I do hope it's a very long time before you get to test your plan on the road. Keep us informed.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 03:03:36 pm »

Will certainly let everyone know.  Epic's original post detailed doing a whole ride at only 35 pounds of pressure. There are accounts on bike forums about people finishing rides on a flat tire with no damage, but only time and experience will tell. Perhaps it will be like Epic's experience and just not have any flats.
I certainly believe/hope that the tubeless flat is much less explosive and a slower leak than is the case when a tube gets punctured. The material around the tire doesn't stretch the way a tube does.
Anyway, I've been 100% successful thus far in using a CO2 cartridge to seat the bead of tubeless when necessary.  The biggest challenge may be finding soapy water alongside the edge of the road. CamelBak and spit may have to substitute.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 04:48:06 pm »
Jim why not carry a tube and a pump as well?

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 11:19:54 pm »
No reason to carry along stuff I'm not going to need.

:)  I don't carry a tube or pump for my car.

And I think it would be really tough to geta tube in the road tubeless.

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 04:30:58 pm »
Glad to hear the Padrones are working out for you.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 05:03:30 pm »
Glad to hear the Padrones are working out for you.
Thanks for all of your experiences that wound up leading me this way.

I don't have much to compare it to, but the handling is much better than with the Continental 4000S's and my confidence to tilt them over is much greater as well.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 12:55:58 pm »
Pressurized Sealants (just sharin' the results of my playin')
BTW, both say they are good in tubes or tubeless.

Geax/Vittoria PitStop. The inflator cannister has a plastic cap that you press against the presta valve. It worked fine on the first tire it tried it with, and didn't work well at all on another. After examination, the difference was in the valve length. On the second tire, it went so far into the plastic cap that it pushed the Presta valve closed, which made it very hard to for anything to get in the tire (and the pressure has to go somewhere).  I read reviews of people saying they were useless and just spray all over the place -- it appears to me they are only a challenge for longer valves. Worked just fine on the first shorter valve, and maybe can still be made to work with longer valves, but not by me in a brief test.

Hutchinson Protect'Air. (the one with the inflator tube). Some early pictures of Protect'Air have a similar layout to the PitStop. I'm not sure if they had the same problem or not, but the current iteration solves that problem. The current version has a plastic tube that actually screws onto the valve stem (Presta or Schraeder) (tubeless or tube) and then you just shake it up and press down on the top of the inflator to turn on the foam. I like Epic's approach of putting in 1/3 of a can to address the puncture and then inflate the tire the rest of the way with CO2 (or a pump if you still carry one).

For her birthday this year (July 28th, by the way) I'm giving Lynn a can of Protect'Air so she can quickly handle any flats while riding through the Bronx or Harlem.  I'm sure she could get any flats in Central Park fixed with just a smile and a wink (like Samantha on Bewitched?).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:49:50 pm by jim-ratliff »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 02:49:08 pm »
For her birthday this year (July 28th, by the way) I'm giving Lynn a can of Protect'Air so she can quickly handle any flats while riding through the Bronx or Harlem.  I'm sure she could get any flats in Central Park fixed with just a smile and a wink (like Samantha on Bewitched?).

Hey Big Spender! You know that ladies like to accessorize, especially Manhattan gals.  How about a nice air compressor? Get those tubeless tires popping.   ;D

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 07:15:47 pm »
For the first time in seven seasons rode a clincher wheelset. I have been on tubulars since the beginning of the '06 season. I have an old pair of '02 Mavic Ksyrium SL's that my LBS sweet talked me into trying tubeless. Brought in the old wheels and in a half an hour were re-shod with a pair of Hutch Fusions, tubeless valves and some Stan's. Rode them this afternoon. HUGE improvement in ride quality. The Ksyriums are stiff wheels that freely transfer road imperfections to the frame. Where they used to transfer a sharp snap at each road crack, now a nice soft thud. They come close to my aluminum wheelset with tubies (Bontrager Race X with Conti Sprinters). Ran them at 85 psi. Rolled nicely. A little slower to spin up than the Bonti's. Will have to hold off on cornering characteristics - no turns taken at speed on the ride today. Overall very impressed.