Author Topic: Geax AKA quick review  (Read 473 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Geax AKA quick review
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:15:41 pm »
About the origins of Geax, think Acura to Honda, Geax is Vittoria's Acura. They launched the brand sometime on the mid-'90's. Their U.S. office is in Oklahoma City. I remember wondering if the bombing of the federal building would affect my tire shipments, so it's that far back. They certainly have had a hard time finding traction in the market even if the tires themselves do have good traction. Perhaps they are better in some markets than others. I used to sell quite a few of them down in CT. They were very noticeable then with a vivid green sidewall. It probably did not help sales, but you sure did know them when you saw them. I don't know if they still do it, but back then, they used to mix bits of chopped up kevlar into the rubber. They did it on the road tires too. The idea was that it would help with durability by holding the rubber together on a micro scale while also enhancing traction by having those tiny kevlar bristles sticking down onto the ground. I think some animals have feet hat do that.

Epic -- it seems Geax may have become more popular here in Canada earlier than in the US.  My wife's Opus (made in Montreal) had them as stock tires back in '08 already -- Opus was putting them on all of their mid- to upper-end bikes as a factory spec.  At that time, there were a number of stores in this area (Toronto) that sold Geax, and did well with them.  The shop guys were all very keen on them, so their reputation was solid then, and hasn't waned since.  You see them more and more today on XC race bikes and downhill rigs.  Great tires, and very durable.