Author Topic: Bike the Hudson River Valley  (Read 218 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Bike the Hudson River Valley
« on: June 11, 2012, 02:26:20 pm »

Lynn and I are seriously considering the following ride for October. Should be pretty with fall foliage, not to mention:
  • The world's longest pedestrian bridge
  • Hyde Park (FDR)
  • Vanderbilt Mansion
  • Mills Mansion
http://www.biketherivervalley.com/BRV_11/Home_Page.html

Todd, thinking of you, since this is a hop, skip, and a jump from New York City.
Anyone interested. Last year Lynn and I agreed that we had done a century, 'nuff said. That may be changing, but 40 or 70 or 100 are all good distances.

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: Bike the Hudson River Valley
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 04:27:39 pm »
Looks like fun.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 04:51:01 am »
The route of the ride is very tasty and it's a great time of year. Is this the ride that Lynn's NYC friend organizes?

Each year my family does a "gathering" and it's the same Saturday, so, no-go for LP. Enjoy and may the wind that hit you last year during the century ride in Md. stay far, far away.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 06:09:30 am »
Yes, one of several that he runs.  One of his bigger rides was this weekend.  He had over 4000 registrations for the "Ride to Montauk" - a ride from Manhattan out to the east end of Long Island and then he transports bikes and people back to the city.  Annually his most popular ride, but also a logistical nightmare.

I did the Hudson River ride 2 years ago, and having the mansions open was nice. But that was a 98 degree day in July. Moving it to October wiil be nice, even though you trade the beauty of the flower gardens for the beauty of the fall foliage.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 09:26:21 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."