Author Topic: Jim (a non-racer) and tubeless MTB tires  (Read 1751 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Jim (a non-racer) and tubeless MTB tires
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2012, 05:41:32 am »
On Titanium:  IN my experience, Titanium is unlike steel, in that cheap Chi-Tanium does not yield very desirable ride characteristics, but premium titanium absolutely does.   Whereas, even cheaper steel bikes have many of the desirable qualities of a quality steel frame.

The problem is this: Titanium is very, very hard to work with and lay-up correctly for bike frames.  Cheap titaniums feel pingy and harsher--and flex in all the wrong ways (I can still remember the Carver Chi-Tanium bike I had...worst riding bike ever). The low budget outfits can't take the the, nor do they possess the know-how to get the most out of titanium, plus they use pretty **** poor titanium tubes to begin with.

However, I have spent time on an IF, and Eriksen and Titus (original RX titanium-awesome ride) and a Strong Ti frame...and the ride is heavenly...not 4000.00 frame alone heavenly, but heavenly none the less.  Light, smooth, responsive-feels like you're riding on air. If you ever spend time on a high-quality ti frame built by a Ti master you'll get what all the fuss is about.

Geometry:  Presently my main bike is a Banshee Paradox-one of those modern 29ers with a slack head angle (68 degrees), 120 mm fork, short chain stays and low bottom bracket all held together with very beefy tubing.   I like it, and I would like it more with a more compliant steel frame.  Handles like BW says bikes with these dimensions handle-carvy on  down hills, sure footed in technical sections, it climbs pretty quick, but the short stay coupled with the slack and long front end allows the front wheel to wander on technical, steep climbs (it doesn't have that super-planted feel of most 29ers...which is neither good nor bad, just different).  I'd love to get a custom steel bike from Wojcik or Strong (or titanium if I win the lottery) with similar geometry but better overall alignment an fit and finish...someday.

Oh, I have been also riding the new Giant XTC 29er carbon...if I was a carbon bike buyer I'd by that bike!

Liam -- good info on Ti frames.  Thanks for that.  I had no idea that there was such a difference in quality.  But I guess my first impressions of the Ind. Fab. bike that I rode were correct -- it sure felt nice.  Strong, light, supple ride, responsive and agile.  If it had been a 29er, I would have offered to buy it from the guy.

Like I said, my next bike will likely not be a Ti frame.  Just too expensive...I would rather buy another pair of skis with that money  8).  But a high quality Reynolds frame, or even scandium (Kona?), with a good drivetrain and fork -- now that would interest me greatly.  Oh well....in a few years, for sure, but for now I am having fun on my Paragon.  I have not outgrown it yet, and am not likely to for a while yet.

And interesting notes regarding the geometry.  I will have to keep that in mind, and not reject a bike just because it has a slack head tube angle.  It's interesting, though, to see how much difference there is in chainstay length.  Not sure if that has a noticeable impact on climbing ability and acceleration, but my impression has always been that shorter is better.

Thanks for the insight!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:54:51 am by Svend »