Author Topic: Jim (a non-racer) and tubeless MTB tires  (Read 1834 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Jim (a non-racer) and tubeless MTB tires
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2012, 09:10:13 pm »
honestly the slacker head tube makes it easier to lean into a turn. Its less agile when upright but more agile when on edge.

Got it -- I knew about the handling when upright, but wasn't aware that there was a benefit when leaned over.  Like I said, I would have to test ride a bike like that to see if it suited me.  To be honest, I prefer a steeper HTA because there are a lot of low speed switchbacks and tight corners in our singletrack.  That, and I just don't ride that fast that I really get huge lean angles in the corners.   ::) 

But there is such a thing as too steep a HTA as well -- I rode a Specialized Stumpy Comp 29er that was so twitchy as to be almost dangerous.  One little hiccup and you'd be in the trees.

When I tire of my Paragon, I will seriously look at the Niner MCR.  Other than the sllightly flexy rear triangle and the aluminum frame ride feel, I am really liking the Paragon.  It has a bit shorter chainstay length than most so the climbing qualities are good.  HTA is just right at 70 deg. so the handling is not too twitchy and not too lazy; just feels natural.  Drivetrain and fork are good (X-9; Fox).  Above all, it is a lot of fun to ride, and can take a beating with a big rider like me.  I will not outgrow it in terms of skill and demands on the performance, so I'll definitely be keeping it for another year or two at least. That is, unless I stumble across a really great deal on a Reynolds frame bike....  8)