Author Topic: Jim (a non-racer) and tubeless MTB tires  (Read 1813 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Jim (a non-racer) and tubeless MTB tires
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 02:12:37 pm »
Subjugate. I like the word, makes you sound very erudite  ::).

I'm sure it's because Jim eat Alpha-Bits for breakfast every day.   ;)

Jim2 -- I just did a quick, but not exhaustive, check of some major US and Canadian bike makers websites, and it looks like only Marin and GT are still offering frames made from Ti, and those are only for mtn. bikes.  GT does not show Lynn's Ti frame as a current model.  After that, it's the smaller makers and custom shops.  But at least it shows that there is still a market for Ti bikes, if a rather small one.  The prices would certainly deter most -- frames alone list for $2200, $2900, and up.  Chromoly/Reynolds, OTOH, are slightly more common -- Jamis, Marin, Niner, etc. still making Chromoly or Reynolds frames.  They are less expensive, but with the obvious weight penalty.  I will have to check around where I live to see if there are any custom frame builders here.  With so many Italians in Toronto (2nd largest Italian city in the world, apparently), there has got to be a little shop with a craft frame builder somewhere around here.

My biggest complaint with my bike, is that the rear triangle feels too flexy, and does not seem to transmit pedal power efficiently to the wheel.  I can almost feel it bending and flexing when I step on the gas pedal and really crank it hard.  Not sure if this has anything to do with it being an aluminum frame, or just the design and build of that part of the frame.  But when I get on my 24-year-old steel frame bike, or Gary's friend's Ti bike, the difference is marked.  Much better acceleration and response, and I miss it.  It's not time to go shopping yet, but one of these years I'll be on the hunt. 

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 02:24:48 pm by Svend »