Author Topic: Jim (a non-racer) and tubeless MTB tires  (Read 1790 times)

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: Jim (a non-racer) and tubeless MTB tires
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 07:01:15 pm »
I have avoided posting on the thread since my mtn bike experience is essentially zero. But BW opened the door:

tubed road bike tires? yeah dont run those either.....

I have tublulars and I couldnt see running a tubed road biked tire. again grip, comfort, speed and more reliable. We waste so much time on forums like these any who that whats a some time out of your days to glue some tubulars. or set up some tubeless tires.

When I was making the decision to go with tubed vs. tubeless/stan's mtn bike tires, my shop guys made a very salient point. They said "look what you ride for tires on the road. The difference between tubulars (sew-ups) and clinchers is the same as tubeless/stan's vs tubed mtn bike tires." Needless to say, I went with the tubeless/stan's.

Played with clincher road wheels for about 3 yrs, 7 to 10 yrs ago. Had decent wheels, Mavic kysriums and Topolino's. Ran decent tires with Michelin RacePros being the best. 6 yrs ago, my wife surprised me with a pair of Bontrager XXX carbon tubular wheels for Christmas (got to love her  ;D). I haven't ridden clinchers again. My old love with tubulars from graduate school yrs was awakened. They ride smoother, more lively and are more responsive. My good wheels have Veloflex carbons which give me 1700 - 2200 miles per tire. My everyday wheels are Bontrager Race X  with Conti Sprinter tubulars. They give me ~2500 miles per tire.

I have followed the tubeless road tire development with interest because I carry a spare tubular when I ride any distance from home. Carrying a spare tube, to be a back up, would appease my weight weanie nature (road bike weighs ~ 14.5 with the good wheels).

Lynn, I chuckle at your comment 
I remember those road bike tubulars!
I am sure that the technology has improved, but I see absolutely no reason to go tubular again.
Clinchers have improved in weight and endurance.
I almost never get flats and they grip fine for what I am riding.

Look at all the skis that you trialled to find a replacement for the Every thangs. You were looking for a ski that gave you  improved performance and the same comfort that the old Heads gave you. Now, say you wanted a new road bike or improve the old one, to give you improved performance and good comfort over what you are currently riding (I don't know what you are currently on for a road bike). I think the least expensive option to significantly improve your ride would be to get a decent tubular wheel/tire combo (~$1,000 total). I have put my set of aluminum tubular wheels on friends bikes and they have all been significantly impressed over their clincher wheels.

Give me my road tubulars and mtn tubeless; or give me skis  ;)