Author Topic: Jim (a non-racer) and tubeless MTB tires  (Read 1838 times)

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Re: Jim (a non-racer) and tubeless MTB tires
« on: June 03, 2012, 11:30:42 am »
The only real down side to very low pressures is excessive rim damage over long time use in rough areas.   Since I started riding tubeless several years ago, I've noticed lot more scuffing around the surface of my rims.  That said, I haven't had any truly significant damage.

35psi is way too high for mountain riding these days.  Depending on the tire and rim I find 25-28psi to be just about perfect...that was even with a tubes.  A little lower in really slick technical trails and Much lower in sand or snow.

I have run combo's of tubed on rear and tubeless on front (and vice versa) which was usually the after effect of a stan's blow out on one tire or the other that I on-trail fixed by popping tube in and continued to ride that way for a few weeks or until the tire went out.

I never noticed any counter acting effects of riding with one tired tubed and the other tubeless.

Kenda- all kenda's ride a lot better in a stan's set up ( I think the Nevegal with tubes is one of the worst tires ever made, but I really like it tubeless).