Author Topic: A male's take on Yoga.  (Read 1203 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: A male's take on Yoga.
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 03:19:50 pm »
Is Yoga a sport?

Unfortunately, I found these.  Yes, this absolutely makes Yoga a sport.

Headline:  Inside the VICIOUS world of competitive Yoga.

Young competitors awaited their time in the spotlight at the New York Regional and National Yoga Asana. Championship.
BTW, for those of you that won't recognize her, that's Lynn in picture number 11.
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2012/03/04/sports/SPTSYOGA0304.html

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:26:39 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 03:48:55 pm »
BTW, poplulation of the US = 313 million

That's just the Census number.  The real number is much higher than that I think.  ::)

Actually I was amazed at the 100 million number for bike riders. 1 in 3 of the general population is much higher than I would have thought, and higher than my local experience.  I would find it easy to believe that one in 3 has an unused bicycle in the garage, however.
But I do think that a lot of kids (12 and under) wind up playing some sort of tackle football in the back yard during football season.  Probably the same ones that ride their bicycle every now and again. 
And, obviously, my arguments have devolved into the silly -- but I am proud of the competitive yoga find.  That qualifies yoga as a sport, and shows exactly the behavior that your original post highlighted and things the general population should not attempt.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 07:16:35 am »
Gee, I hope no nanny-ish government safety zealots read any of this.  Helmets will soon be mandatory for all yoga classes.  But then again, it could prevent Jim from getting beaned again and avoiding further head trauma.   :D  Quick, someone start an advocacy group!

I gotta say, this thread has been most entertaining.  I'm imagining all sorts of hilarious scenarios, mostly involving overweight middle-aged men ogled lithe female practitioners in a hot yoga studio while trying strange contorting poses, and then getting hauled out on stretchers whining in pain.  Good fodder for an SNL episode....  8)

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:28:35 am by Svend »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 07:58:40 am »
I've heard reports that middle-age women frequently ogle the lithe, muscular male practitioners as well.

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 08:31:17 am »

I am almost sure that happened to me today. the girl like turned her head away so quickly when I caught her

pretty good confidence booster for me.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 09:24:11 am »
I've heard this too!

WHO TOLD??? :P

Yes, my first and favorite class instrutor is a guy. Middle aged, shaved head,  with a VERY nice body.
Not hard to look at at all.

So I read the article last night. About what I expected. Nothing new.

I do vinyasa yoga which is a flow yoga. Poses are not held for long periods and one is encouraged to smoothly transition from one asana to the next.

I also self moderate and can feel when something is not right for me. And I listen. Mostly ;)

Now the article did mention thoracic outlet syndrome, which I did need surgery for. 10 yrs ago. Quite unpleasant.
But the main culprit of that was swimming and shopping, yes, shopping. The heavy bag on the shoulder in addition to shopping bags in each hand caused the blood clot in my armpit. Not yoga.

I tried Bikram once. I don't get the attraction. Dehydration and a false sense of improved flexibility d/t heat doesn't seem wise to me.

And by all means, be careful of the neck! I rarely do headstands anymore. If I do, the head has the least amount of weight on them of the three fulcrum points. I prefer forearm or hand stands.

But Max, in no way am I trying to convince you to do yoga. Kinda like skiing, find what works for you and follow that path.

We need to stop. We are giving Svend way too much entertainment. :o :D
"Play it Sam"

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 02:02:31 pm »
Did you have the thoracic outlet syndrome before you started yoga 13 years ago?

Probably. The surgeon said my subclavian vein had old scar tissue on it indicating long term damage.
A combo of a congenital small amount of space, "settling" of the structure with age and repetitive exercise
with the arm lifted created the compression.

And because it could occur on the other side, I do not hold poses with my arms up for any length of time.
And you won't see me carrying ski's on my shoulders either!

But, to be clear, the only symptom I remember having was a sharp pain in my shoulder while christmas shopping and carrying a lot of bags for about 10-15 min straight. That was the clot lodging in my armpit vein.
"Play it Sam"

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 05:46:56 pm »
Gee Lynn, I have heard of "shop 'til you drop". But I don't think I have heard of "shop 'til you clot"   :-X.

If your favorite instructor was a guy with a bald head, is there any truth to the rumor that Jim 1 is thinking of shaving his head  :o !

I agree with Svend, this thread is a hoot ! ;D!

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 02:49:42 pm »
Any lasted effects from that one, Jim?  ;D  Balance problems? Try yoga.  I've heard it does wonders for balance.   ;)
Svend:
Sorry, I answered the wrong half of your question.  The bat incident happened in Douglass, KS at school recess.  The population of Douglass is 1000 and there isn't any ER.  There was a GP in town that they took me to.  He put 5 or 6 stitches just above my left eyebrow, while I was continually pestering him until he grudgingly told me "yes, it's OK if you play in your league baseball game tonight".

I think I was 13, and I had beat out a 15 year old to be the starting first baseman on the 13-15 year old American Legion team.  Had to make that first game.

Not sure my mom felt quite the same way, but ... it was a much simpler time and place then.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 06:25:24 am »
A small anecdotal story of skiing and yoga.

Some will remember that I joined Gary's Holiday Valley trip in January. Prior to going there, G and I skied his home mountain, Bristol, on Saturday. Gary knows about everyone in the locker room and he introduced me to a woman, who we met later on the mountain, and skied several runs with. During our first lift ride together, it became painfully obvious that she was going to be the dominate speaker and story teller. For those who have skied with Gary, you know that is difficult to accomplish, but, G makes it a point to engage others. I was relegated to mute status.

Anyway, she began to rant about the benefits yoga has brought to her skiing, specifically leg and core strength plus improved balance. She described the poses as very demanding on her muscles, but, well worth the effort. It was almost cultish worship of a program called Anusara Yoga, developed by a guy named John Friend. I went on the net to check it out, and, it's a major program with millions of $$$ sales and a whole network of local instructors and practitioners.

Then, this spring, a major scandal developed when it became known that Mr. Friend had made some very close female friends (plural) in the program and participated in some group sessions of a very personal nature. Plus a little wee and maybe some alcohol. He may also be manipulating some $$$ that come into his foundation for more personal use. He has now left his Anusura foundation for personal recovery, and, he has been abandoned by former devotees.

There are no lessons to be learned in the above, it's just a simple story. It just confirms my personal beliefs that we need balance in our lives, and, there is very little magic. Don't know if yoga is better, equal to or even with other workout routines where we work against the weight of our bodies. But, as I age, my body tells me that it is aging faster than my mind, and, to be very careful with how I apply stresses to joints and muscles. For sure, working out has improved my life and permits me to accomplish activities like skiing or biking that most of my peers have long abandoned.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 07:06:45 am »

Clearly Mr. Friend developed an "advanced" program for select students and incorporated some some "enhanced positions" along with different cardio-vascular involvement.
I wonder if there is a book coming?

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 01:34:29 pm »
Anusara yoga is a faster moving yoga and somewhat cardio.
Hatha yoga is the slow moving one.
Vinyasa is in the middle. And my choice. Suits what I wanted and felt needed from yoga.

There have been several scandals surrounding different yoga guru's.
Is there any walk of life that hasn't? ::)

I like your philosophy Mike.
You should brand it. ;) ;D
"Play it Sam"