Author Topic: A male's take on Yoga.  (Read 1210 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: A male's take on Yoga.
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:19:44 am »
Max: 

I understand your take on the use of statistics, and I don't have those numbers either. However, I believe that biking may well be more dangerous than playing tackle football because a huge percentage of bike accidents are getting hit by cars.  Some smaller percentage is purely related to the type of riding (thinking hucking off cliffs on bikes now), but city biking is challenging. I almost feel blessed that the riders here in Northern Virginia are generally quite courteous (and maybe that's because I am).

Regarding yoga.  I didn't read the whole article, and don't plan to.  One article and one experienced yoga teacher's opinion doesn't create a consensus, just an opinion.
My quick read of the article sounded like he wasn't criticizing yoga, he was criticizing people's use of it; people's perception that to get any benefit from yoga you have to do all the wierd positions (or poses, whatever the word).  That sounds very American to me, we want others to "see" our commitment and success by the visible poses (that also sounds like a very "un-yoga-like" philosophy.
As far as the guy having a ruptured disk and thinking yoga would solve that. He was just dumb.  I've had a couple of ruptured disks (and successful surgeries to deal with them). That's like someone with a ruptured Achilles thinking that more running will heal his tendon.  I believe that yoga will gradually stretch the back muscles and eventually strengthen the core, two areas that may lead to disk problems.  But a ruptured disk is a real medical problem, and at least requires a real medical assessment.
I also know that Lynn, after being away from yoga for a short period, knows the things she can do may be limited, but still finds it an excellent work out. Her focus is a workout, not a check list of how many esoteric poses she was able to do.  How many people injure themselves lifting weights, I wonder?
Now, whether instructors know their attendees well enough to know what they can do and what they shouldn't attempt, I doubt it.  Like skiing, or biking, or anything else -- the best solution is an informed consumer.  The only one that is responsible for me is me, and if I make a stupid decision then shame on me.  Example.  I stopped playing softball in my early 50's after my first back problem.  Excessive torque on the back just didn't seem worth the potential negatives. Meput tore up a knee running down the soccer field, sometimes stuff just happens.

BW. Very coherent writing in your OP. Remember that this, like all of life, is a marathon and not a sprint.  Too much of a good thing doesn't necessarily make it a better thing, but this certainly seems to be having a positive impact on you.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:28:37 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."