Author Topic: My Arse is killing me  (Read 1057 times)

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: My Arse is killing me
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 06:55:35 am »
Lots of luck, have fun and enjoy the learning voyage  8)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 08:29:17 am »
+1 for a cyclocross bike (and by that I mean a true cyclocross, not a comfort cross cruiser).  My brother rides a Kona model, and it is a nice piece of kit.  And not overly expensive -- you get a lot of bike for the money.  Rides like a road bike....rigid, light and fast....but with the added versatility of being able to handle gravel trails and smooth singletrack due to its more robust frame in key places (head tube, bottom bracket, etc.).  The variety of tires you can put on these is impressive -- from smooth road tires, to what are basically narrow versions of tires we wouldn't be ashamed to put on our mtn. bikes...Schwalbe Rocket Ron, Conti X-King.....decent stuff.  Or you can get semi-slicks which do double duty on and off road.

These bikes are definitely worth considering if you ride 80-90% on road, but want a bike that is a bit stronger and has gearing for the occasional foray onto a rail trail or smooth double/singletrack.  Very versatile, and perhaps a good choice when starting out, until you decide whether you prefer road or trail, and then can get a good bike to suit.

And by all means look at newer used models.  A well-maintained used bike will save you $$$.  A great source is PinkBike.com -- they have an extensive buy/sell section with hundreds of ads by members from all over North America.

Good luck.  Have fun in the hunt and enjoy the riding!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:13:38 am by Svend »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 07:11:04 am »
What about something like this?

http://www.fezzari.com/hard-tail-cross-country/lone-peak

I'm still a bit amazed by Google. Max posts the link above a couple of days ago, and yesterday I started noticing ads for Fezzari showing up in the "adsense" at the top.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 07:19:34 am »
Yeah, it's a bit unsettling in an Orwellian kind of way, isn't it?

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 08:01:11 am »
Yeah, it's a bit unsettling in an Orwellian kind of way, isn't it?
Orwellian?  Yes. 
My apologies to the country of Canada for assuming a lesser level of literary exposure north of the border.  :o

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 02:09:15 pm »
To echo BW and Meput

GET GOOD BIKE SHORTS!

I was using an older pair this past weekend on a 25 mile easy ride.
And my arse was killing me as well. I have done a couple of slightly longer rides
this season without any real discomfort and couldn't understand why I was so uncomfortable.

DUH! The chamois had compression spots of wadded up padding that hard hardened to the size of quarters and the
stiffness of same, right on the sit bones.

Threw those suckers OUT!

New chamois seem like they won't do that.

L.
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 02:35:52 pm »

Was that the highlight of your bike riding weekend?

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 02:39:49 pm »
Why no dear, that was the downside of my weekend :-*
Literally.
"Play it Sam"

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 04:35:20 pm »
To echo BW and Meput

GET GOOD BIKE SHORTS!

And if you're getting the razz from family or friends about parading around in spandex (like I do from my daughters  ::) ), then wear a pair of light and thin board shorts on top of the bike shorts to keep up the cool factor.  Preferably smooth material for low friction on the saddle.  No sense suffering emotional distress too....

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 05:32:55 pm »
Spandex really can be great when it comes to the kids. Just think of all the times that the kids have gone out in embarrassing  outfits  :o. You want to say something about the outfit, but you get the look from the spouse that tells you to keep your mouth shut  :-X. Well, spandex is our turn around, fair-play response  :P. The first time you walk into the house after a bike ride and you are sweaty, in spandex, and the kids have friends over. The kids give you the embarrassed look  :-[ that says, "Dad, how could you wear that outfit ?!?  :o. We have friends over, how could you ?"

Ahhhh, turn around can be sweet  :-*.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 07:35:59 pm »
Why no dear, that was the downside of my weekend :-*
Literally.

Now THAT's funny.  WELL DONE!!

I was expecting you to talk about riding through 8" of water overflowing the lake and covering the road/trail.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:47:05 pm by jim-ratliff »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 05:44:46 pm »
Spandex really can be great when it comes to the kids. Just think of all the times that the kids have gone out in embarrassing  outfits  :o. You want to say something about the outfit, but you get the look from the spouse that tells you to keep your mouth shut  :-X. Well, spandex is our turn around, fair-play response  :P. The first time you walk into the house after a bike ride and you are sweaty, in spandex, and the kids have friends over. The kids give you the embarrassed look  :-[ that says, "Dad, how could you wear that outfit ?!?  :o. We have friends over, how could you ?"

Ahhhh, turn around can be sweet  :-*.

Jim, great minds think alike.  That is very funny, but for fear of embarrassing myself as much as my daughters, I will do this when none of their friends are around.  Just the threat of going out in public so dressed will be enough to mortify them.  But fear not, I have other ways to embarrass them in front of their peers.  Blaring opera music from the car stereo in the high school parking lot at day's end, hundreds of kids streaming by, is one of my favourites.  And if I happen to be in good voice, that is sufficient to send them walking home on their own, disavowing any knowledge of, or relation to their father.   ;D

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 06:16:24 pm »
Svend, for all the times that the kids torment their parents, I am glad you too have found constructive ways to torment your kids  ;D.

I must admit that my kids have all grown older and have significantly matured  ::). Now when I walk in with spandex on, if the kids and any of their friends are over, its gee Dad, we are really impressed that you just bicycled 30 miles at your age  :).

Even with the kids being more mature, they still find ways to torment their parents. Unfortunately it does get harder to torment them as they mature   ;).

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 05:52:36 pm »
Hi Folks,
Just a bit of an update. Got sidetracked with out of state family issues so I have not made any significant purchase yet.
Still riding the $85.00 used schwinn sport that I bought from a local org, actually as a donation, proceeds that benefit veterans. But what fun I am having just cruising. In younger days I was an avid runner, having little to no experience with cycling I was amazed at how much ground one can really cover. I took a 3 mile ride on the outskirts of town yesterday and loved it. Not withstanding the 112* temp.
The wtb v saddle I invested in, combined with the appropriate height adjustment made a world of difference in terms of my tailbone.
Tried a 29'r at my local bike shop and liked it ok. Will try a dedicated road bike next. Seems like the 29'r might be one of those tweeners bw talks about. Performance " just ok" in seperate genres.
Meanwhile, faded paint, modest equip aside, finding how enjoyable even a 30 minute ride down the road or around the neighborhood can be, how out of shape I am and much to learn about cycling.
All in all, the chain or I haven't fallen off........consider ing that +1

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 08:53:52 pm »
Hey Byron -- great that you're rediscovering cycling.  I'm guessing it's been a while since you've spent any time on a bike(?)  Since you were a young 'un, perhaps? It's just a great sport, no matter what wheels you're riding on.  Good on ya!

I can't imagine BW calling a 29er a tweener bike.  I suppose there are some inexpensive 29ers that aren't kitted out to be proper mountain bikes, but are branded as 29ers just to capitalize on their popularity.  But a good 29er is by no means a so-so performance ride.  They are real mountain bikes in every sense of the term, and are being raced at the amateur and world cup level. 

If you are still considering a bike for 80% road / 20% gravel trail use, by all means look at the cyclocross bikes.  They would suit your needs much better than either a 29er or a pure road bike would.  Here is an example of a good one, at a decent price point:  http://www.konaworld.com/cx.cfm?content=jake_the_snake

Keep us posted on your demos.....