Author Topic: My Arse is killing me  (Read 1121 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: My Arse is killing me
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 08:29:17 am »
+1 for a cyclocross bike (and by that I mean a true cyclocross, not a comfort cross cruiser).  My brother rides a Kona model, and it is a nice piece of kit.  And not overly expensive -- you get a lot of bike for the money.  Rides like a road bike....rigid, light and fast....but with the added versatility of being able to handle gravel trails and smooth singletrack due to its more robust frame in key places (head tube, bottom bracket, etc.).  The variety of tires you can put on these is impressive -- from smooth road tires, to what are basically narrow versions of tires we wouldn't be ashamed to put on our mtn. bikes...Schwalbe Rocket Ron, Conti X-King.....decent stuff.  Or you can get semi-slicks which do double duty on and off road.

These bikes are definitely worth considering if you ride 80-90% on road, but want a bike that is a bit stronger and has gearing for the occasional foray onto a rail trail or smooth double/singletrack.  Very versatile, and perhaps a good choice when starting out, until you decide whether you prefer road or trail, and then can get a good bike to suit.

And by all means look at newer used models.  A well-maintained used bike will save you $$$.  A great source is PinkBike.com -- they have an extensive buy/sell section with hundreds of ads by members from all over North America.

Good luck.  Have fun in the hunt and enjoy the riding!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:13:38 am by Svend »