Author Topic: My Arse is killing me  (Read 1102 times)

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: My Arse is killing me
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:35:32 pm »
BW, we shall see what the future holds re: disc brakes for road bikes. As Jim alluded to, it will require a whole redesign for a road bike to go to a disc brake. Seat stay and front fork redesign to mount the brake calipers and handle the new torsional forces. Axle redesign, esp. the front axle. Additional spokes and lacing patterns to handle the new torsion transmitted to the rim. We shall see (besides, I like the role of being an old grouch and a cheapskate  ;D).

Max,
If I was riding very long distances I'd buy a road bike.
Bingo!

Byron, beware of the cross/comfort bike. If you find you are enjoying this biking thing, you will soon looking for a true road or a true mountain bike (or both) and abandoning the cross bike. Beware of looking for disc brakes in your price range (new bike). Inexpensive disc brakes are usually cable actuated and loose the power and modulation benefits of a hydraulic disc brake.

Maine drivers are not the most bike friendly, but I have never had to go off the road into the ditch for survival reasons. When I am driving a car, the road bikers that bug me the most are: 1) riding against traffic, or  2) unpredictable because they are not keeping a straight line (weaving), and/or 3) riding multiple across instead of a single line when there is vehicle traffic. So as long as you do not do these fauz pas', most cars/trucks will give you room and "share the road".