Author Topic: My Arse is killing me  (Read 1105 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: My Arse is killing me
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:36:10 am »

I'm not always proven right like the humble Mr. BW, but I would gladly lug around whatever extra weight is necessary in order to have the hydro braking on my road bike that I have with my XT brakes.  The stopping power, modulation, and one finger light touch are amazing.  And I too have heard that the revolution in braking is coming.
Interestingly, one of the issues is redesigning the angles associated with how the axle of the front wheel (or maybe both) sits in the fork.  Disk brakes on current road bikes would tend to pull the axle out of the fork (I don't have the mechanical undertanding of why).
Even if the weight winds up being the same, some of the trade-off is rotating braking surface way out on the rim of the wheel versus disk brake surface much closer to the center of rotation, so much less rotational inertia. I'm just sad that they probably won't be retrofittable to current bikes.
The weight comparison, however doesn't stand up.  Getting a 1600 gram road bike wheelset is much cheaper than getting a 1600 gram mountain bike setup (in the range of $300 vs $700).  The mere volume of material works against the mtb here, in addition to the higher load factors.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:19:17 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."