Author Topic: My Arse is killing me  (Read 1072 times)

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: My Arse is killing me
« on: May 03, 2012, 05:13:37 pm »
Byron,
Everyone is giving you good advise. BW's comment about he is sore at the beginning of each cycling season is very true. It usually takes about 3 weeks for my bottom to get acclimated to my bike saddle each season (sorry). Bike saddles do wear out. What used to be good does wear out and becomes bad. Old leather saddles (Brooks, Ideal, etc.) had the ability to be tightened leading to a longer life. Newer synthetic saddles have a limited life. Maximum I have had a newer saddle last is about 5 years.

For a new bike, figure out whether you want to ride on the road or off road. A cross bike is kind of like HelavaSkiers comment regarding all mountain ski equipment: "All-Mountain: A common descriptive term for boots or skis that are designed to perform equally poorly under a variety of conditions and over many different types of terrain." I have ridden with many riders on a cross bike that use it primarily on the road and are very frustrated for that purpose. I am a newbie to mtn biking, but I suspect attempting to use a cross bike for off road use would be equally frustrating.

A properly fit bike will not let you put your feet on the round while you are on the saddle. The only bikes that will allow this are recumbents and some beach cruisers.

I agree with BW regarding bike shorts and nut butter. Your kids may be embarrassed that you are in spandex, but your body will thank you. Do not re-use a pair of shorts without washing them first. Sweat and bacteria from your skin will come back to haunt you (a boil on the tender areas are no fun). Most chamois butter has some degree of antiseptic function. I like Assos chamois cream. Use it for even short rides (1 hour).

Local bike clubs are a great resource. They can help with figuring out whether you want to ride on the road or off road. Go on a beginner ride for road and mountain bike. See which you enjoy more. Club riders can help on service and buying advice. May even be able to find  you a used bike that would be appropriate size and type.

Just like skiing, enjoy the journey as you get more accomplished in the biking world.