Author Topic: My Arse is killing me  (Read 1106 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: My Arse is killing me
« on: May 02, 2012, 12:12:41 pm »

Byron:

When you are on the bike, what does it feel like you are sitting on. You should be sitting on your sit bones (midwif could rattle off the medical term) just as you do when sitting on a hard chair. If you are sitting on your coccyx, then the seat is too narrow and/or you are too far forward and/or the seat itself is too soft and letting your sit bones sink down too far until your coccyx comes into contact with the seat?
I have bought all my bikes at Performance Bicycle, but don't know if you have stores in your area or not.  In my opinion, they are better value than the standard bike shops that all carry Trek or Specialized.  However, I also don't buy at the "street price",  the always present  markdowns from "list price". Everything I have bought has been a prior year model, usually marked down 50% or better, and even that price can be negotiated. 
For where you are now, I think one of their store brands would be a good option.
In my mind there are road bikes, mountain bikes (front susp or full suspension), and cross bikes.
Sounds like you don't want a road bike, but take some test rides on the others (just like demoing skis before buying).
Seats are an individual thing.  I have a Selle SMP Extra on my mountain bike, and a Specialized Ronin. Both have cutouts in the middle and concave profile to keep the pressure on the sit bones rather than on the other parts.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."