Author Topic: Faster with shorter cranks -- also "Early Season Training"  (Read 244 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Faster with shorter cranks -- also "Early Season Training"
« on: February 16, 2012, 04:50:54 pm »

The following was referenced by a Newsletter that I receive from Neuvation Cycling that gives a couple of examples of people dramatically cutting times by going to shorter cranks.  I found this interesting even though it seems counter-intuitive to me.
Another article talks about how to increase capillaries (and therefore VO2 max).

http://www.roadbikerider.com/newsletters/issue-no-514-rbr-premium-member-giveaway-program#newsletter-jims-tech-talk

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:52:56 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
I agree, I am not sure what the shorter crank trend is all about. 

I have been training with Chris Carmichael DVD Lactate threshold and power videos.  Been riding outside for about a month now.  Did 25 miles the last two days.

Currently thinking about a new saddle.  My butt hurts at 25 miles even with good bibs and I have 650 miles in so far this year.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Perry:
I am humbled. 650 miles in 4 weeks is great.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
I think like most things its different for everyone else.

I tried 172.5 on both road and MTB and have tried up to 177.5 on my geared MTB and 180 on my SS MTB and just have decided to stop worrying about and now run 175 on every bike I own that gets pedal.

My legs get use to the that stroke there is no much different of fit between any of the bike they are pretty much exactly the same.

KISS Keep it simple stupid.

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Perry:
I am humbled. 650 miles in 4 weeks is great.

I am humbled that you even thought i did that and was not counting the miles on my trainer!! ;D
650 for the year includes the miles standing still on the trainer.  Right now I am doing 60 - 100 miles a week outside which is no great shakes.

BTW I think a lot of the shorter crank revolves around the higher cadence movement in cycling.  Higher cadence and lower stress on muscle fibers to produce the same power output.  I have heard some old guys our age talk about the crank length change taking a slight stress off the knees. 2.5 mm saves you 5mm at the top of the stroke once you have adjusted your saddle up.  I was recently having knee pain and completely got rid of it by moving my saddle up.