Author Topic: Mountain Bike Tires  (Read 593 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Mountain Bike Tires
« on: May 11, 2012, 06:22:14 pm »
Back to the topic of tires....I have a couple of questions for the MTB gurus here...

In some of last year's posts, I think Liam and Josh recommended using a wider tire on the front, and perhaps one with a more aggressive tread pattern.  Why is this? I don't recall ever finding out why.  Wouldn't it be best to run the same tires front and back -- same width, same tread?

And as followup to that question, should you match the tire profile shape front and rear to keep cornering and handling smooth and predictable? In other words, if the rear tire has a round profile, I would guess that putting a more square profile tire on the front would be bad for handling(?)

The reason for my question is that, while I am really liking the Slant Six's that I put on my 29er last fall (they work great in my local terrain), but about the only thing I am missing from the change-over is the more cush ride that the old Bontragers gave me.  Otherwise, they are better in every way.  So, I am thinking of swapping out the front for a wider 2.2 width, and one with larger tread lugs for a better ride.  Just wanted to check with you guys to see if this is advisable, and if so, do I keep the profile consistent with the round shape of the Slant Six?

Edit:  I am going to cross-post (re-post?) these questions into my own, older thread about tires, so as not to hijack Jim's here.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:31:24 pm by Svend »