Author Topic: An era in American history gliding into the sunset  (Read 245 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
An era in American history gliding into the sunset
« on: April 17, 2012, 02:38:50 pm »

Discovery making it's final "landing" at the Air and Space Museum at Dulles Airport.

They already have the shuttle Enterprise out there, along with the Enola Gay, an SR-71 Blackbird, F-22 Raptor and X-35 prototype as well as a lot of other notable fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft.

Many that visit DC don't realize that some of the Air and Space's best isn't downtown on the Mall at the main Air and Space Musuem buidling, but is way out in the suburbs on the grounds of the airport.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/onview_uhc.cfm

[old attachment deleted - file maintenance]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:54:23 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
I love the Udvar Hazy Air and Space Smithsonian museum!  Worth the drive out of town, real hands on, great docents, lots of space (and few crowds!) to roam around in. Seeing a Black Bird up close and personal is impressive, and standing under the Enola Gay gives me the chills.

As to the end of the Space Shuttle Era: dated technology aside, they were the last gasp of a forward looking national sense of self and purpose.  It is with some sadness and some more trepidation that I lament that the sort of progressive Nationalist vision that gave us the space program has been lost in a morass of social myopia and an ever-spreading, small-minded cacophonous discord. 

I'll take the space race of my youth over 'no child left behind' any day of the week.