Author Topic: Krypton Pro boots  (Read 4214 times)

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
Re: Krypton Pro boots
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2012, 03:23:37 pm »
si what boot did you get?

if you got the vipers the tongues are not interchangeable....

I do not know why you would get the Kr2s and just have the shell stretched......

I do not have the modded pair with me...

basically I modded the cuff at hinge point and shimmed it forward. I just took and cuff and cut out the whole so it went further forward on the inside . ... not sure which why I liked it better at this point in time.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2012, 08:59:47 pm »
Bush,

I got the the KR2 Krypton Fusions w/ Intuition liners.  I'll ski them as is for a bit and then make modifications as warranted.

I am excited to get a feel for what ankle mobility adds to off piste/ mogul skiing.

Svend,

we'll see about the tongues, too-I'll ski the stock one for  awhile...

Nor'easter possible the middle of next week...killington open yet??

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2012, 02:13:28 pm »
Kmart opens Monday Nov. 5

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2012, 05:24:53 am »
Liam - just make sure you bring the rear inserts along with you when you go out for your new boots maiden voyage.  That way you'll be able to adjust the forward flex almost on the fly.  Did the shop mold the Intuitions for you?

I think the Fusion is an incredible bang-for-the-buck deal.  It's pretty much identical to the top of the line KR2 for a lot less money and you can always swap the tongue out later if necessary.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2012, 05:43:13 pm »
I think the Fusion is an incredible bang-for-the-buck deal.  It's pretty much identical to the top of the line KR2 for a lot less money and you can always swap the tongue out later if necessary.

Is the Fusion the same boot as the previous Krypton Cross model? Seems to be...  If so, I very nearly bought that boot a couple of years ago.  Tried them on, loved the fit and flex feel, then went to buy them a couple of weeks later and there were none to be found in the whole country.  Dalbello was going through a distributor change in Canada at that time, and supply on all their boots was short.  Too bad, as I really wanted those.  Like H-A said, they were nearly the same as the Pro but for much less money.  Better looking too, IMO....

If the mods to my Infernos still aren't enough to give me the guts that I need, the Fusion or Pro are on high on my short list as a replacement. 

Looking forward to your review, Liam.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:44:29 pm by Svend »

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2012, 06:12:24 pm »
HA,  do the rear insert make the flex feel stiffer?  I thought they mostly pushed you forward a bit.  I'll be molding them at the shop next week sometime.

Svend, Yeah, the lack of the vibram screw on soles on the Pro were a deal killer, I put a lot of walking miles on my boots so I really don't do the solid plastic bottom thing anymore.  I'm eager to review them as well....probably not until early December....though I might sneak up to K-Ton before then...

This year's Krypton line looks (cosmetically) a whole lot better than in previous years.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2012, 06:46:50 am »
Just wondering -- does anyone here have a "boot quiver"? We all have multiple pairs of skis.  Heck, some even consider 10 pairs to be the new normal (can't remember who that was; H-A or Heluva, I think).  But, and correct me if I'm wrong, we all seem to have only one pair of boots.  Bush might be the exception -- he probably has a 2nd pair of AT boots, but that doesn't count as they are special purpose.  In any case, I've never heard anyone here saying "I think I'll ski in my Raptors tomorrow, and leave the Kryptons at home".   

Curious thing that.  We have different skis that suit different needs -- carvers, all mtn., powder, etc..  But we only have a single pair of boots to take us into all that varied terrain.  Seems to me that some boot designs -- sp. the 3-piece Krypton discussed here -- may have some advantages over 2-piece in certain terrain (bumps, off-piste, crud), whereas a solid narrow last 2-piece just can't be beat for hard snow carving.  So, if this is true, then why don't some of us have at least a 2-boot quiver? After all, the cost of a pair of boots is about the same as a pair of skis, and a few of us here don't even blink at buying new skis every season or two. 

I'm interested to find out why this might be...

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2012, 12:43:07 pm »
Breaking the suckers in. :'(

Very few people on this board get boots they can wear out of the shop and just ski in without modifications.
Most of us buy pretty true to actual foot size boots, which require modifications, liners etc.

But you knew that Svend! :D
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2012, 12:52:35 pm »
Lugging around two pair or skis (more if you are young and vigorous) is heavy enough.  Far be it from me to want to also lug 2 pair of boots through the airport.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2012, 01:11:11 pm »
Lugging around two pair or skis (more if you are young and vigorous) is heavy enough.  Far be it from me to want to also lug 2 pair of boots through the airport.

Fair enough, and I wouldn't want to lug 2 pairs either.  But many of us ski at local hills weekly or more (I know that we do) where the airport is not a factor.

Breaking the suckers in. :'(

Very few people on this board get boots they can wear out of the shop and just ski in without modifications.
Most of us buy pretty true to actual foot size boots, which require modifications, liners etc.

But you knew that Svend! :D

Lynn -- of course I knew that, but with a bit of boot work to make em fit, why not take the time for a second pair? Besides, the boot work is free with purchase (at least here in Toronto area stores it is).  No reason, other than a few hours in the shop, not to do it.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2012, 07:37:31 pm »
It's easy to buy a lot of skis because it is relatively easy to unload used skis.....but it hard to unload used boots-so I get a pair, and make 'em work until they are kaput (and become 25 dollar ski swap items).

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2012, 10:02:17 am »
Quick update re. my search for boots:  I have decided to hold off on getting a new pair for now, pending my final assessment of mods I made to my present Infernos.  I replaced the power strap with a heavy duty ;) 3-ply Booster; got new liners under warranty from Tecnica Canada (resolving an issue with a tear in the old ones - great service from those folks); and had the inside ankle areas punched out to relieve a hot spot and align my feet better in the shells.  I skied them for 4 days in Banff just before Christmas and really liked what I felt.  The new liners seem to be the same as in the current Inferno race boots, and I like the quality and fit and feel.  A significant improvement over the old ones. 

The Boosters, in particular, made the biggest difference.  They make the boots markedly stiffer feeling, seem to act like shock absorbers in crud and chop, and give me a much more solid feel in steep terrain which is confidence-inspiring.  A great upgrade, and well worth the time to drill out the power strap rivets and bolt on the Boosters.

All-in-all, I am happy with the outcome so far.  During the time in Banff we skied some steep terrain and quite a bit of off-piste stuff, crud and ungroomed, and I never felt like I overpowered the boots or was wanting for more support.  FYI, I was skiing my Mythics, which are a rather solid heavy ski, and the boots had no trouble driving them.  Now I'm looking forward to getting out on my Progressor 9's and see how they perform on groomers. 

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2012, 06:53:16 am »
Cool boots Svend....I notice they employ a three buckle system...Is there a noticable difference in performance with a three buckle system, or better performance with one less buckle to fiddle with?

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2012, 08:24:22 am »
Hey Byron -- to clarify, I don't own the Kryptons.  But I did seriously consider them as a replacement for my present Tecnica Infernos, hence my inquiry at the beginning of this thread.  I may still go that way if the mods to my Infernos aren't satisfactory. 

The Krypton is a really interesting boot, with many devoted fans out there.  The new versions for 2013 are much improved, apparently.  This might be a great choice for you, actually, if your Impacts don't work out.  Narrow last, narrow heel pocket, flex adjustment down to 80 or 90, and lots of forward lean adjustability. Liam just bought a pair and has promised a review.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2013, 07:26:06 pm »
I got the the KR2 Krypton Fusions w/ Intuition liners.  I'll ski them as is for a bit and then make modifications as warranted.

I am excited to get a feel for what ankle mobility adds to off piste/ mogul skiing.

Svend,

we'll see about the tongues, too-I'll ski the stock one for  awhile...

Hey Liam, curious to know how the Kryptons worked out for you this year? Good performance? Any major pros or cons over two-piece boots that are noteworthy?

Interested to hear your feedback...