Author Topic: Krypton Pro boots  (Read 4213 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Krypton Pro boots
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 08:09:57 am »
Quote from: bushwacka
Auto X -                   

550 front spring rates  - 11 mm sway bar  - 5 degree camber
500 rear spring rate     - 24 mm sway bar  - 2 degree camber

Road Racing

500 front spring rate  - 20 mm sway bar - 3 degree camber
800 rear spring rate   - 30 mm sway bar - 1 degree camber

I don't know that either comparison of skiing versus driving a cushy cadillac in auto cross is a valid comparison.
But I am surprised at the rear suspension stiffness.  550 spring with 11 mm sway versus 500 spring and stiffer sway bar is a subtle difference.  But much stiffer rear springs AND larger sway bar would really stiffen the rear end.

I assume you were wanting the car to rotate quicker (almost oversteer) in auto cross. The more agressive camber I can understand.

The point is you are comparing National's level racing to recreational skiing.  Nationals level racers probably put just as much time and energy into boot selection and testing as you did your cars. You don't get fast without it. But I think someone said Nationals level mogul racers also user very stiff boots?
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 08:48:34 am »
Eh I was trying to point out how for national level racing people would not use the same thing as a rec skier skiing though woods and bumps.

You also missed the toes setting which were alot more rotation happy on the autocross car..... also you camber should go down as body roll goes down, if does not you would be 'over" cambered. IE the tire would be leaned into the turn but would never actually become flat.

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 06:06:27 am »
The Hot Gear bag solved my problem for getting into the boots. Getting them off is another story...still no good solution for that. The Dodge may be easier to get off. I noticed that John and Harald were out of their Dodge's before I had managed to wrestle one of my Dobberman's off.

Hot Gear bag - check.  Picked one up last season and it sure does keep the boots toasty.

I spoke with the Dodge boys at the end of last season and they have big plans for the next generation of the Dodge boot - it will be a redesign of the shell with some critical changes to the shape of the last.  That's the boot I'm waiting for.

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 04:59:38 pm »
Last season they said 2-3 seasons.  Since they were already producing for 2012 when they said that I would estimate that we will see something new in either the 2013-14 or 2014-15 season.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2012, 08:05:24 am »
Anyone have any experience with the new KR2 models??  They are using the Scorpion design for the lower shell now, We are getting some in the shop, but I haven't seen them yet or heard of anyone skiing on a pair.

I think dalbello changed the position of the hinge points, making the outer lower than the inner (which, was a problem on the previous Kryptons for those who did not want a 'rotary' boot).  But I haven't seen one in person to confirm this.

With the proposed tweaks in design, this could be a new life for the venerable Krypto model.  I am very interested in putting my foot into this boot.

Liam

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2012, 08:38:38 am »
Liam,  I have no experience with these, but plan to have a close look and a shop try-on soon.  I have been reading the ski mag gear reviews on these with interest (although they all seem to be from the same source -- Mark Elling, Mt. Bachelor?).  In any case, the reviews have been very positive, and are saying that some of the main shortcomings in the previous model have been sorted out, and that these boots now have far more versatility than before.  Sp. greatly improved on-piste performance, better lower boot fit, less fiddly adjustment widgets.  Not sure about the hinge points, though.

My boot testing this past spring was, I admit, somewhat discouraging, and I still have not found a good replacement for my Infernos.  The KR Two in their new iteration are high on the list for a retry.  The previous version were an awkward fit; hopefully the new one is better.

Let me know if you try them, and how they work out for you.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 08:41:11 am by Svend »

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2012, 10:15:00 am »
I wonder if they have made buckles that actually last yet....

My only complaint about the 1st gen is that. For where I want to ski best thing I had found so far and noone on race boots has ever out one it.

The new on does look promising.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2012, 10:25:53 am »
I hadn't heard the buckle problem before.  I'll keep that in mind.

Is it just the progressive flex that you like for off-piste or is there more to this design (and have you tried other cabrio designs)??  I've never skied on the any before, the old krypton felt awful on my feet, but I had good luck with the scorpion, so I have high hopes here. 

I've also toyed with the idea of using the Dalbello Sherpa (virus) as my main boot and setting up all my skis with 'slack country' (dukes or guardian) bindings.  I end up boot hiking everywhere I go, and from patrol I spend a lot of time walking up the hill and through the woods so these new Dalbello designs are, at least on paper, appealing/

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2012, 07:49:42 pm »
Got a chance to try these on in the shop-the new KR2 Fusions (with grippier soles, and a 120flex)-I also, tried on (sometimes alternating feet) the Dalbello Scorpion SF 110 (the other boot in the running).

Though they have changed the boot fit for the Krypton, the Scorpion felt, still, a lot more comfortable, and yes, more stiff forward flexing even in the 110flex.

But, the KR2s were vasty improved over the old model, and not at all cramped. 

They look better than the old Kryptons..I am still leery of this style of boot, but we'll see, I might pull the trigger on them.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 08:18:14 am »
I am still leery of this style of boot, but we'll see, I might pull the trigger on them.

....and from patrol I spend a lot of time walking up the hill and through the woods so these new Dalbello designs are, at least on paper, appealing

Considering that you do a lot of this kind of hiking, don't you think that the advantages of a Krypton boot would outweigh some of the drawbacks?  Smooth, long and progressive flex; no shell deformation on flexing....that kind of thing.  And perhaps those few drawbacks could be easily fixed -- comfort (good bootfitter); stiffer flex (stiffer tongue and/or spine widgets) -- so that the Krypton is just a better boot for you all around.   Just think, you could have happy feet, just like Josh  ;D

BTW, I have put my own search for boots on the back burner.  My try-ons in the spring were discouraging, but also made my present Infernos look pretty good.  Several of the 98mm / 130 flex models were significantly softer (at least in the shop) than my Inferno 110's.  Nordica Girish and Tecnica Bodacious, specifically.  The latter had a shell that just crumpled on flexing, and offered what seemed to be almost no support.  I think BW commented on this before.  The others that I tried were either about the same flex as my Infernos, or if stiffer, were a poor fit match.  I did not find a Krypton, but want to try the new Pro model some time this winter.  In the meantime, I had the inside ankle bone area punched out on my boots, which should make my feet sit better in the shell (better edging, I hope).  And I have ordered some triple-ply Booster straps to try out and see what they will do to the Inferno's flex and stiffness.  Basically trying to make the best of what I've got, which turns out to be a pretty decent boot after all.  Should be an interesting start to the season, to see if the tweaks work....

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:22:22 am by Svend »

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 04:41:11 am »
Honestly, this is a great time to find good skiing boots that should work very well for a patroller that has to hike a lot.  There are a lot more "side country" boot options available now than ever.  Though please keep in mind my first post in this thread - it's still always about the fit of the shell first.  I was seriously considering pulling the trigger on the KR2, but when I really put it through the fit test side-by-side with other "hike worthy" boots, I found that my low instep wasn't getting what I needed from the KR2.  Although the ankle and heel pocket are vastly improved, the instep, forefoot, and toebox were not a great match for my foot. 

And I'll say it again, don't let a liner fool you into thinking a boot fits.  Pull the liner out, tell the sales guy to go away for 5 minutes and really check out just how well the plastic is meshing with your foot shape.  Move your foot around inside the shell and think about how much space the liner is going to have to fill up.  When you back your heel into the pocket does it match up?  Keep in mind that you need to leave room for a footbed and a bit of liner under your foot so raise it up about 5mm or so (it's best to actually stick your footbed in the shell without the liner to check the shell match to your foot).  Do your ankles line up with where the shell thinks your ankles should be?  What about the toe box?  The toe box can easily be blown out or have some plastic ground away, but it's great if the toe box already matches up well for your feet (I love that Raptors don't have pointy toe boxes, they're quite "generous" up front).

I think the KR2 is going to match up well for skiers with a fairly narrow heel/ankle, higher instep, and a more narrow forefoot/toe area.

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 07:47:55 am »
if the boot is tight around your foot you can always make in wider.....

I would rather side on the too small of things and then take it to a boot fitter.

Just curious Liam when you were flexing the Krypton was it set up at 120 flex? IE stiffer tongue and shim in the right place....

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 10:03:23 am »
Bush,

I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know what Flex they were set to..they were fresh out of the box, the shop was excited to get a few sizes in for people to try.  I'll stop in again.

Hey Josh, earlier you wrote about changing the hinge location on the inside (medial) side of the boot (moving it forward I believe, to prevent your knees from tracking in whEn carving)..how do you do that?  Or did I miss read your modification of your Kryptons.

Liam

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2012, 06:52:48 am »
Bush,

It was at the lower flex point.   It was a tough call-I also had on a pair of Vipers (not the stiffer ones) and loved the shell fit (no surprise as they are 100mm boots)-but I would think the upper end model of these with the ID liner would be an excellent slightly wider traditional boot for many.

I just took the plunge and purchased these boots...I am considering (if it is possible) getting the stiffest KR2 Pro tongue for them them.

I'll give them a fair run for one season and see how they handle (the forward flex is very different-though, my knees tracked straight in varying 'in-shop' flex tests...we'll see).

Bush, I am still very interested in hearing how you changed hinge positions (making the Krypton more responsive to lateral inputs) on your boots.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2012, 08:07:10 am »
I just took the plunge and purchased these boots...I am considering (if it is possible) getting the stiffest KR2 Pro tongue for them them.

Liam, as far as I know, the tongues are interchangeable between models.  You should have no problem getting a stiffer tongue like the Pro model has.  But have you played with the spine stiffening widgets yet? Bush mentioned in an earlier post that they really work.  Maybe a new tongue is not needed?

Congrats on the new boots! Looking forward to hearing how you like them.