Author Topic: Krypton Pro boots  (Read 4238 times)

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: Krypton Pro boots
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 04:41:11 am »
Honestly, this is a great time to find good skiing boots that should work very well for a patroller that has to hike a lot.  There are a lot more "side country" boot options available now than ever.  Though please keep in mind my first post in this thread - it's still always about the fit of the shell first.  I was seriously considering pulling the trigger on the KR2, but when I really put it through the fit test side-by-side with other "hike worthy" boots, I found that my low instep wasn't getting what I needed from the KR2.  Although the ankle and heel pocket are vastly improved, the instep, forefoot, and toebox were not a great match for my foot. 

And I'll say it again, don't let a liner fool you into thinking a boot fits.  Pull the liner out, tell the sales guy to go away for 5 minutes and really check out just how well the plastic is meshing with your foot shape.  Move your foot around inside the shell and think about how much space the liner is going to have to fill up.  When you back your heel into the pocket does it match up?  Keep in mind that you need to leave room for a footbed and a bit of liner under your foot so raise it up about 5mm or so (it's best to actually stick your footbed in the shell without the liner to check the shell match to your foot).  Do your ankles line up with where the shell thinks your ankles should be?  What about the toe box?  The toe box can easily be blown out or have some plastic ground away, but it's great if the toe box already matches up well for your feet (I love that Raptors don't have pointy toe boxes, they're quite "generous" up front).

I think the KR2 is going to match up well for skiers with a fairly narrow heel/ankle, higher instep, and a more narrow forefoot/toe area.