Author Topic: Off to Steamboat!  (Read 668 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Off to Steamboat!
« on: December 21, 2006, 12:38:46 pm »
Just letting you know I will be Steamboat on December 23-27 if anyone can make it! I will be making some powder runs for sure for you east-coasters.  I will try to post from there. feel free to call if you have my #.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Off to Steamboat!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 02:30:02 pm »
Some people have the life! 8) Make a few turns in the soft, fresh, powder for me, will ya?
Eat, drink and be merry too!
Lynn
"Play it Sam"

Hoontasan

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 02:36:35 pm »
Ron,

Have a great time in Steamboat! The conditions are very good out there now so it should be memorable.

Hoontasan

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 08:11:46 am »
Oh Ron..please provide a video tutorial of how one anwers the call in Steamboat Spings!

Have a blast and remember the "f"word!

Best to you and Kerry!

Gary

Barrettscv

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 03:44:44 pm »
Ron,

How is the skiing?  Sorry I missed your call this morning.

Michael

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 05:20:01 am »
Wwll folks, Steamboat is awesome. What a great mountain and resort. Lots of varied terrain. Some great views, easy access to the Gondola from many of the lodges. Ok now the details you want. 7" of freshies fell the first night, this was on top of the 15" they received last week. So much of it in the trees was completely untouched so it is still as of Christmas up to our knees! Many spots were deeper.  Much of the tourists this time of the year are from Dallas and Houston and many more from all over including back east. The good news is that on Sunday, it was snowing so hard most did not venture out. Christmas AM was slow as everyone was doing the Santa thing ut it was also -3 at the base so many more didn't go out. There is an inversion here so at the top is was about 10, by about 9AM it was already in the teens and the sun came out. It was an incredible Christmas morning. I am skiing/riding with a couple I met on our plane ride out. They both are boarders, the woman is an expert and lived in Steamboat for 8 years, SHe knows all the local stashes. IT is a real treat to watch an expert rider in the pow, its incredible. We are riding in the same areas where WM filmed sequences. Its all Aspen and logepole pines. All the trees are covered in powder so its really a true wonderland. We were skiing runs yesterday that were treed about 10' apart up to our knees, just floating along. I am using my skills taught by Gary; using the float (PMTS) and much of the Clendenden (SP) techniques on the steeper runs where you have to traverse and work the broken. I must say I am getting much better and can keep a good pace. We were also skiing Aspens a bit wider than shoulder width, it was incredible. I nver have skied like that before. Unbelieveable. You follow the runs down over by 1,2 & 3 O'Clock and ski all the trees in between., I can tell you that GARy and Micheal would be in their glory!  I have pics I will post when I return along with the video from BC.  PS- we are looking at a 2 bdrm, walk to the Gondola condo today........

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 07:57:56 am »
Ron...absolutely thrilled you're experiencing one of the great wonders of the world....tree skiing in powder!

Happy to hear your new found technique has opened up so much more of the mountain for you. I know from here on out, you'll be craving fresh snow and secret stashes!

2 bedroom on the mountain at Steamboat...now I'm Jonesing!

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Gary

rob

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 11:44:33 pm »
Ron,
What is the property you are looking at? Sounds like you had a great time. Congrats!

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 07:06:25 am »
I will divulge after today. Don't want to jinx the deal!

rob

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 11:11:20 pm »
I will divulge after today. Don't want to jinx the deal!

Well?

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 01:42:30 pm »
Ron
Are you holding out on us? :o C'mon, spill the beans. Do you own a piece of the boat?
Lynn
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 12:16:25 pm »
yes!

rob

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 11:24:29 pm »
OK Ron, what property is it? I stayed in the Steamboat Grand 2 years ago and really enjoyed the place and the mountain.

fredm8

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 01:05:25 am »
From those of us afar, what are the differences between Steamboat & Aspen.
I spent a few nights in Aspen and skied all 4 mtns, most runs. What is Steamboat like in terms of accommodations, nightlife, ski runs, facilities ?

Douglas

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 12:18:51 pm »
Canyon Creek, one block from the gongola.